off-roading

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

Reaction score
Anybody here go off-roading. I don't do it as much as I used to but still get out on occasion. I have 2001 Jeep Wrangler on 33's ARB front and rear lockers.

Born and raised off-roading here in the deserts of Southern California, in fact, depending on the time of the year, I would be hard pressed to decide if fishing or off-roading was my favorite hobby....i have a 85 CJ7 with 35's and front and rear lockers that I use for some easy "rock-crawling", exploring and general trail running....then for the family, I have an old-school VW powered 4 seater sandrail, along with quads/motorcycles for the kids....and a 26' Fleetwood toyhauler for the wife :LOL2: .....we go to Superstition Mountain OHV area, Plaster City OHV and Ocotillo Wells State Park/Truckhaven Hills areas (all located in Imperial County, CA). We spend a good number of weekends in the desert during the fall/winter, with Halloween, Thanksgiving and New Year's being the biggies....but we also go on frequent day/weekend trips as the kids school and sport schedule allow, since we're only about 20 minutes from the Superstition and Plaster City areas....

profilepic899_1.gif

This is a pic of me at close to Calico Ghost Town:

SoCal has some great wheeling. I grew up in San Bernardino and graduated from Cal State University Fullerton. I ended up stationed at Fort Irwin while in the Army. There is allot of great places out there. I have been to many of the places you mentioned. I loved wheeling in the Big Bear area. Missouri sucks for wheeling, probably why I am not into it like I used to be.

Been to Calico as a tourist, but never done any wheeling there....but have been to Zyzzzyx (or whatever the hell it's called :p )....And, we're actually planning a Jeep trip to Big Bear at the end of summer...looking forward to that as well as an adventure in Mexico sometime in October...Going from La Rumerosa, Baja California, to Mike's Sky Rancho, which is about 60 miles west of San Felipe....start out at about 3500' elevation, go down to -100' and then climb back up to 5600' over the course of 150 miles or so....only pavement is the road getting to La Rumerosa and a single highway crossing about 20 miles from the end...REALLY looking forward to that trip (and as a bonus, when we get to Mikes, there's trout fishing! LOLOLOL)....

i dont have any action pics but here is my cj7 jeep im building right now. im saving up to do a cummins turbo diesel setup and get rid of the rest of the weak drive train and go with a flexy coil over set up. im having fun like it is but its got a long way to go in my eyes.

Ross said:
You need to get to Calico if you like rocks. The hammers are also out that way. Not all the trails are insane, they are so more "mild" ones.

This is a video of the gate keeper (that is where I am at in the pic). I have made it up but never tried going down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igIRfhWc-hE&feature=related

here is another trail up there.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcLSEZyzsQA&NR=1

Ross there was a wheeling event in sourthern mo either end of june or first part of july. I have a cousin that went. I will try to find the website.

I used to do this many years ago when in college. Our biggest obstacle was running out of beer.

Man how things have changed for me.......for the better, Thank God! :wink:

This was my last Jeep, Rubicon unlimited on 35's. Use to wheel a ton a few years back but i got a boat and the Jeep didn't tow it to well. I didn't wheel it much anymore so i traded it for a Dodge Ram....... I miss it every day

Jdholmes said:
Your jeep wouldn't tow your boat? Whaaaat?!?
With heavy 35" BFG KM2's and stock gearing and brakes it would do ok around town i guess but i wouldn't wanna tow it on the highway. I guess stopping would be more of a problem then going.

Fishing and off-roading are two of my favorite things. I picked up my Blazer from a guy who had it parked next to his house for over 5 years collecting dust, it was a started project that never seemed to get started. So for $500 bucks I was a proud blazer owner. Since then lots of TLC and a few buck I got her how I want her, Stock 350 with headers all smog legal, swapped the turbo 350 / NP208 for a SM465 / NP205, 2-1/2 in suspension lift, 3in body lift, 35" BFG mudders, 14 bolt sf welded rear, 10 bolt open front, 3.73 gears, sliders, home made bumpers...etc.

When I picked her up.
IMG_0441_net.jpg
IMG_0443_net.jpg
IMG_0447_net.jpg

Now a days.
2011-07-03_17-48-06.jpg
2011-07-03_22-01-19_a.jpg
2011-07-03_22-05-36_a.jpg
2011-07-07_10-09-08.jpg
0216121451a.jpg

Few videos.
[youtube]81mr9gpNVPo[/youtube]