New to tying jigs!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00 mod

Reaction score
I am just in the start up process of tying my own jigs! here is my very first ever! nothing like quality products and a full skirt! I am using gamakatsu hooks and at least 4 tabs of skirts on all my jigs! Much better than ANY store bought jigs you can find! I have been buying them from the guy who is teaching me to tie for a couple years, and now its time to do my own!

utf-8BSU1BRzAxNjAuanBn.jpg

Soon I am going to sell all of my store bought jigs for a really good price, so keep your eyes out on the "sell it" section!

Jeff

That's the only way to do them....Yourself. 8)

I buy jig heads from Lurecraft. Unpainted heads with owner or gammy hooks. They are so stinkin' cheap, that not only can I create my own colors, and have a more flared jig, but I also save a bunch of money.

There are instances when I prefer a thinned out skirt though. Sometimes I'll trim the front section of skirt material short to flare it out....Short enough it doesn't flow towards the back of the jig.

I'm going to start using rubber this winter. More a mix of rubber/silicone. I need to make a whole new batch. I've about empty my jig box fishing in the creek in the back yard.

Im not tying my own Bass Jigs like you are but I do tie my own Crappie Jigs and find it to be a much more worth while effort and considerably cost effective too. The best part is that I can tie them up in the sizes and patterns that happen to be the hot ticket at the moment. As you know, if you Crappie fish with Jigs much, they can rival the even the most finicky Trout when testing your patience and resolve to fill your stinger. I mean if you aint snagging and breaking off a few on every trip out, then your probably just fishing and not catchin'! :lol:

my second batch of jigs that I tied up for a friend!

utf-8BSU1BRzAxNzkuanBn.jpg

he wanted an exact copy of my first one.....need to get the black weed guards in!

utf-8BSU1BRzAxODAuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAxODEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAxODMuanBn.jpg

he wanted some brown colors!

Jeff

I really like how thick the skirts are. I think that makes a very big difference. When you start selling those, let me know for sure.

How much does it cost you to make one? Do you have a list of supplies you need to order?

Because I make the skirts so thick and I have not started pouring my own head YET, the cost per jig is around $2.75-$3.00 each. Plus the time it takes me to tie them. As per the rules set forth on this forum, I did not post these to try and sell. I am pretty new at this obviously and slow at tying them compared to people that have been doing these forever! I cannot pump out a lot of these in a timely manor and am only doing this as a hobby and for myself and friends that want them. The guy who is teaching me has been doing it forever and can make them much quicker than I.

I will post his website only if admin allows.......

Jeff

Very good job on those jigs. I cast my own bullets and I may need to find a mold for casting up some jig heads. Thanks for posting about your hobby. I may have to expand my hobbies in the near future. There must be some web site that explains the basics of tying your own jigs......

Possibly so, I haven't really checked because I have a friend who is guiding me. He has been tying for 20 yrs, so there is nothing on the web that could help me as much as he has!

Jeff

I'm definitely going to have to start doing that. I've wanted to for over a year...just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Can you offer any advice on the tools you use and maybe a picture or two. I could add this to my late Christmas list for my wife.

Wow those turned out great. You don't make the skirts too, do you? They look great!

Worked really late last night...its our busiest time of the year! When I get home tonight I will try again! LOL. Sorry for the delay.

I buy the skirts in 10 stand "tabs" and do them myself!

Jeff

Latest posts