Charcoal Grill (55 gallon drum) - Build thread

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Since we are all do-it-yourselfers I thought I'd post my latest project here. I'm going to be transforming a 55 gallon soybean oil drum into a Charcoal grill. Currently I have 270 sq inches of grilling space to work with which doesn't leave much room to sear and then cook on a warming side or even do enough food at one time to feed the family. Forget having anyone over for burgers. I figure a grill made out of a 55 gallon drum would give me a little over 800 sq inches of glorious grilling space.

Yesterday I used my propane torch to burn off the paint. A bit easier said than done. It was dark outside and I couldn't tell what was burned off and what was not. Whatever is left on the drum comes off easy with a flapper sander or wire brush though.

Then I used my chalk line and stood the drum on end. I snapped a line then measured 1/4 the way around the drum and snapped another line. I found a chalk line is not permanent, so had to use painters tape along the edge of the line. A 4" disk sander with a cutoff wheel attached makes quick work of the cuts and is easy to keep in a straight line.

I didn't cut all the way through each corner though, but left them intact. Then I placed two weldable hinges (found at the hardware store) on the top hinge and welded them into place.
I should stop here and say I have NEVER welded anything before. I always wanted to and when my father in law passed away, we had to clean out the garage and I brought a brand new hobart handler 140 to store in my garage. I had to read the manual, set up the machine, watch some youtube videos and give it a shot. I was pretty nervous, but after a couple spot welds for practice, I dove right in. I tacked the hinges in place, then decided just to try my hand at a steady weld. Surprisingly, I think I did ok for a beginner. Granted, I should have started with somthing not so visible as hinges on the outside of the grill, :lol:

So now it sits for the night, the door is completely cut out, the hinges hold it in perfect position.

I can't wait to try my hand at welding some more stuff!!!!
P

Attachments

• 2012-06-04 22.42.05.jpg
    2012-06-04 22.42.05.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,355
  • 2012-06-04 22.43.46.jpg
    2012-06-04 22.43.46.jpg
  • 2012-06-04 22.43.19.jpg
    2012-06-04 22.43.19.jpg
Jim said:
Next you have to make an Ugly drum smoker! :lol:
I have 2 more drums I picked up last year just for that purpose! But with 4 smokers already, I have to get rid of a few first to make room.

If you hadn't said that this was your 1st welding job I would have never know. The welds look good. Can't wait to see the finished pit, please keep us all updated.

Second day update... had a proceedure done to my foot but couldn't watch any more TV - so I made it out to the garage for a bit.

I want two grilling grates and act like drawers - pulling straight out to allow for adding more charcoal, cleaning, etc.. So I added some more cuts to the front (measure 2x cut once - I almost cut the wrong line!!!!). Did my best to mark a straight line for reference on the outside. I cut an angle to attach to the front for the grates to rest on. Did my best to level it out and added a support on the back for the rails to rest on. Here are a few more pictures of the progress...

My schedule is full till Saturday, so I'll be cleaning out the inside as I find a few minutes here and there so no pictures for awhile.

Attachments

• 2012-06-05 19.59.06.jpg
    2012-06-05 19.59.06.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,290
  • 2012-06-05 19.12.10.jpg
    2012-06-05 19.12.10.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,290
  • 2012-06-05 19.09.52.jpg
    2012-06-05 19.09.52.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,290
So, the foot got better and I got on this project last night while i smoked a brisket (see the picture below.). It's hard to find packer cut briskets in WI. I had a grand selection of two. Anyway, it went on at 11pm, off at 730am, smoked on Texas mesquite, held in a cooler/wamer till lunch,mmmmm just about perfect!

But back to the project. I added rails for the grates. I left some room between the grates so i can slip a divider between them and divide the fire a bit and offset smoke in the pit (maybe -we'll see, it might be too drafty.). I had made the grates equal so they are interchangeable. I will have about 725 sq inches of grilling greatness! They are 3/4" angle cut and welded together inside and out. I could almost lift my car with these! Welded in some mesh for the grates. The grates need to be removable for charcoal access. I'll add a holder above the grated so they don't just fall out, but can be left extended out. Might be helpful if I want to extend the grates and line up burgers too. Also need to do some work on the lid, and an exhaust system. The exhaust needs to be able to move air, but be closable. Feel free to share any ideas!

This fabbing with metal is growing on me!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340482105346.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340482105346.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 3,202
  • uploadfromtaptalk1340482221662.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340482221662.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 3,202
This has taken much longer than i anticipated. I basically took no pictures and went to town building. Two areas that stumped me were the intake and exhaust. I searched the web and hardware stores for ideas and found nothing I liked. Finally I took a look at my big smoker and said "I can build that". It's a 4" square exhaust with a cap on it. Bought a lenght of 2" angle and cut it into 4 parts. I welded them all into a square inside on two parts and outside all the way around. Then I found the welds flat so it looked like one solid 4" square tube. Then i cut a square cap for it. A screw welded inside the exhaust and a matching hole inside the lidade sure it was adjustable and wouldn't get lost. I was VERY proud of this exhaust.

The intake turned out to be a hole cut with an oversized cover built from old aluminum from my boat rebuild ;)

I had to design a stand.... This was a build from brainstorm (think it, build it). I found some old bed frames that became frame parts. I found some iron fence posts about 1" square at my hardware store. I think I could park my car on this frame, solid and still somewhat lightweight. Sorry no pics yet, it was too dark tonight.

Painted it black with grill paint, polished the inside, and seasoned it tonight. Made 1" burgers with ease, left them juicy and nearly perfect!

I'll post a picture of the full grill when it gets daylight. For now, here is the exhaust and the grill getting ready to season. :cool:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342754311776.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342754311776.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 3,110
  • uploadfromtaptalk1342754325424.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342754325424.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 3,110
The fiished product! I can fit my favorite small smoker underneath for storage, which cleans up the yard a bit.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342786829097.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342786829097.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 3,103
Great job-love the write up. I will be converting my brinkmann gas/charcoal grill in to a full blown smoker (see attached picture) the grill has see it's better days and it needs a face lift. So these are my plans.

1. remove all gas componites
2. add left side fire box
3. join the two sides together with some fab work (only the bottoms going to leave the lids seperate.
4. Close 3 of the 4 vents leaving only the far right one and extending it.
5. Posibly add a small vertical smoker to the far right

I will start a new thread either here or in the cooking section when I start.

Attachments

• brinkmann_dual_zone_charcoal_gas_grill_810_3820_s.jpg
    brinkmann_dual_zone_charcoal_gas_grill_810_3820_s.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 3,101
Fool4fish... How was that grill? I was going to buy one like that, but a king grilled from menards, but then started building this one. It looked like the perfect cooking machine.

wasilvers said:
Fool4fish... How was that grill? I was going to buy one like that, but a king grilled from menards, but then started building this one. It looked like the perfect cooking machine.

I really liked it and it held up pretty good - lots of use almost daily and stored outside not covered - Got a good 3 to 4 years out of it.

The burners are going which I could replace and get another 3-4 years out of it easily but I want to make the smoker so its time to retire it.

Latest posts