Toy Box - Finally Finished

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm building a Toy Box for my youngest grandson for Christmas. Using 1" x 3" poplar, and birch plywood for the body and 1" x 3" oak for the lid. Got the panels cut and most of the mill work done on the rails and styles. I'm using tenons on the ends of the rails to fit them into the slots on the styles. Got the lid glued up. I do most of my work on the table saw with a trip to the jointer every once in a while.

Attachments

• Toybox 4.jpg
    Toybox 4.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,583
  • Toybox 3.jpg
    Toybox 3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,583
  • Toybox 2.jpg
    Toybox 2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,583
  • Toybox 1.jpg
    Toybox 1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,583
Get to work GH Christmas will be here before you know it. :p My grandpa used to build me things when I was young, I had a toy box, night stand, headboard & numerous other items. Sometimes he would even let me help. I thought that was so cool. Hope your grandson enjoys his as much as I did mine.

Keep us updated as to your progress.

Some more millwork and gluing the lid up.

Attachments

• Toy Box a 006.jpg
    Toy Box a 006.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,555
  • Toy Box a 005.jpg
    Toy Box a 005.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,555
  • Toy Box a 003.jpg
    Toy Box a 003.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,555
  • Toy Box a 002.jpg
    Toy Box a 002.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,555
  • Toy Box a 001.jpg
    Toy Box a 001.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,555
Made some more progress this weekend. I sanded the lid starting with 80 grit and finishing with 220 for about an hour per side with my random orbit sander. Then assembled the ends and front. A lot of work to do yet. There are 2 things that you can never have too many of, clamps and beer in the fridge. :LOL2:

Attachments

• Toybox 6.jpg
    Toybox 6.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,533
  • Toybox 5.jpg
    Toybox 5.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,533
A little more progress on the ends and front. Sanding is not my favorite part of a project. :LOL2:

Attachments

• Toybox 8.jpg
    Toybox 8.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,518
  • Toybox 7.jpg
    Toybox 7.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,518
Gill, I have to disagree. If I have too much beer in the fridge I'll never get around to the project!! Nothing bugs me more than an overloaded refrigerator.....

PS: Good looking project......

Things got really busy and I was starting to be concerned that I wouldn't have this done before Christmas.

Attachments

• Toy  (3).jpg
    Toy (3).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,456
  • Toy  (1).jpg
    Toy (1).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,456
Nice project and a gift that will last longer and probably have more memories and enjoyment associated with it than anything else you could have given. I built a similar chest to that for my daughter back in the 80's when she was born.

Have you ever looked in to spline joints for items like the lid on your box? I started using them long ago and have had very good results with them.

JMichael said:
Nice project and a gift that will last longer and probably have more memories and enjoyment associated with it than anything else you could have given. I built a similar chest to that for my daughter back in the 80's when she was born.

Have you ever looked in to spline joints for items like the lid on your box? I started using them long ago and have had very good results with them.

Thanks. I have built a toy chest for each of the grandchildren. This may be the last one.

I have been using biscuit joints on items like the lid, and have had pretty good luck with them.

Nicely done. I like the idea of the gap to keep fingers from becoming squashed. =D>

Brine said:
Nicely done. I like the idea of the gap to keep fingers from becoming squashed. =D>

Thanks! That's exactly why it's there. I also installed a lid tensioner.

Latest posts