Parts Washer Fluid???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMixson

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of fluid do you use in your parts washer? I have been using Jet A jet fuel which is a high grade kerosene in my parts washer at work for about three years. I like it because it really cleans the parts and I have hundreds of thousands of gallons available to me. The thing I don't like about it is that it is hard on the pumps. They only last about a year running it. I do use it almost every day so it does get a workout. The pump is a type of plastic that can't hold its shape over time submerged in jet fuel. I had tried another water based washer fluid one time and did not like it at all. The fluid would bead up and run off of the parts not cleaning them at all. Do you know of a type that cleans pretty well? I would like to see if my pump would last longer with a different type. Thanks.

I just loaded mine with purple power and for the little i use it think it will be fine.

Well I have been using Simple Green Cleaner/Degreaser since my first post and it is not too bad. It doesn't clean as well as jet fuel can but with a little scrubbing the part can be cleaned pretty well. On a positive note, I have not had to to change my pump out since using it.

I wonder if Windex w/ ammonia would work? For good cleaning without leaving any residue behind, I too am a big fan of naptha, but I use it directly - not in an immersion bath type system.

KMixson said:
I have been using Jet A jet fuel which is a high grade kerosene in my parts washer at work for about three years.
Actually, Jet A is a lower grade or contaminated grade of kerosene. They make Jet A by mixing kerosene and something else. Back in the day (that's late 60's-early 70's for me), we use to use a mixture of diesel and kerosene which cleaned very well, but I don't recall the shop owner ever replacing the pump. But that was a washer made in the 60's so that's probably like apples to oranges.

Make sure your wearing Proper protective gear with JET A. Its really bad to get absorbed into your skin.

If you have tons of JetA at your disposal, get a diesel powered vehicle and burn it with a little 2 stroke oil. After all jet and kerosene are just diesel fuel without the lubrication added.

My parts cleaner is Mineral spirits. Works good for me.

JMichael said:
KMixson said:
I have been using Jet A jet fuel which is a high grade kerosene in my parts washer at work for about three years.
Actually, Jet A is a lower grade or contaminated grade of kerosene. They make Jet A by mixing kerosene and something else. Back in the day (that's late 60's-early 70's for me), we use to use a mixture of diesel and kerosene which cleaned very well, but I don't recall the shop owner ever replacing the pump. But that was a washer made in the 60's so that's probably like apples to oranges.

Jet A has a higher sulphur content than kerosene. That is why it makes a poor choice to use in kerosene fed space heaters unless you have plenty of ventilation. I know it is not perfectly clean but I wouldn't call it more contaminated than regular kerosene. It is constantly filtered and filtered again in the supply line before it ever makes it to an aircraft. For instance when we receive a load of Jet A it has to filtered three times before we can put it on a plane. It is filtered coming off the transport going to our tank. Then it is filtered going from our tank to our truck. Then filtered as it is going from our truck to the aircraft. We even have the capability to "Polish" the fuel by pumping it from our tank back into the same tank in came out of after going through a set of filters. It is not only filtered for contaminants but for water as well. Water is a huge concern because it can freeze at altitude and can cause the engines to stop. Every morning we take samples from a low point drain on each truck to make sure it has no water or contaminants visible to the naked eye before we use that truck for the day. We have to continuously run test to make sure it is as clean as possible for the aircraft.

We use straight Jet A for the commercial aircraft. Military aircraft use different mixes for some of their aircraft depending on the aircraft and the specs needed. There is Jet B, JP-4, JP-5, JP-8 and others that are mixed for a specific need. There are some additives you can have in it also like Prist which helps fight water contamination. We use no additives in our Jet-A fuel where I work.

I probably should have chosen a different word to describe it but when I said "contaminated", I was only using that term as it is no longer "pure" kerosene once they make jet a. I know it's not the best source, but per wiki : Jet-A powers modern commercial airliners and is a mix of pure kerosene and anti-freeze.

Latest posts