Custom Drawer Dividers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
My oldest daughter asked me to make her some custom kitchen drawer dividers for the house she and her husband just had built.
She defined the design and I got started :LOL2:

I used 1/2" oak plywood and 1/2" oak boards. I ripped the 1/2" board to 1/2" x 1/4" to cap the raw edge of the plywood. Assembled with Gorilla glue and pin nails. (this is when a pin nailer really comes in handy).

3 coats of poly and they are done. The downside of the project is now the wife wants some made for her.

Attachments

• Drawer 013.jpg
    Drawer 013.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 3,838
  • Drawer 009.jpg
    Drawer 009.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 3,838
  • Drawer 007.jpg
    Drawer 007.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 3,838
  • Drawer 003.jpg
    Drawer 003.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 3,838
  • Drawer 001.jpg
    Drawer 001.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 3,838
Looks like a nice project. Not much scale to go by in the pics so how wide are those dividers? Looks like maybe 21.5" or so wide. Have you ever used any of that edge banding veneer? It's inexpensive and no nails required, just a good quality glue and some masking tape to hold it in place until the glue dries. It's great for covering up the raw edges of plywood as long as it's not in a high wear area. And the seam between the veneer and ply is pretty much invisible when you're finished so no joint lines or nail holes to worry with trying to hide. I know I pins don't really show much but every little bit counts.

Thanks. I have used the veneer, but I thought it would take too much of a beating on the tops of the dividers from flat ware etc. They are 21-3/4" x 18-3/4". They are just pin nailed from the outside so you won't see the holes when they are in the drawer. The oak strips are just glued on, no nails.

Oh yea you've got a good point, I bet flatware would be pretty hard on it and probably take some chunks out at the edge of the veneer sooner or later.

OK, I would have probably overlooked one person saying it, but two? Curiosity killed the cat but I wanna know, what would you use something like that in the back of a truck for? haha

JMichael said:
OK, I would have probably overlooked one person saying it, but two? Curiosity killed the cat but I wanna know, what would you use something like that in the back of a truck for? haha

Because I don't want to pay 4k for this: https://www.truckvault.com/Products/Specialty/Fisherman.php

:LOL2:

frpickup_1-W800.jpg

Latest posts