Home Brewing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
Yep, just like it sounds. I brew my own beer.
I brew it 5 gallons (2 1/2 cases) at a time.
I built my "Man Cave" last summer and installed a mini-kitchen area for brewing beer and filleting fish. Bought the wife a new stove and I moved the old one to the "Man Cave". Picked up an apartment sized regfridge from a guy at work, and built the sink cabinet and slid in a one tub porcelin sink. Picked up a old oak wiskey 1/2 barrel and cut it down, hung it from teh wall and installed two tappers, one for beer and the other for root beer. This summer I plan on installing two more tappers. That will give me a tapper for a drinking beer, one for that end of day beer where your done fro the night, or as I call it my nasty beer. And one for a trial beer. Something new I want to try. and lastly the rootbeer tap for the rest. :mrgreen:

I brewed up a porter for this weekend. Yesterday I transferred it from teh fermentor to the keg and put 30 psi to carbonate it. Should be ready to go for Superbowl Sunday. I also made up a fresh batch of root beer.

Any body else homebrew?

I don't homebrew.. then again, I don't drink like I used to either..

Take some pics man - your man cave sounds awesome and I (as others I'm sure) would love to see it and kick it back with you in there... in cyberspace of course

Apartment living is NOT conducive to brewing, so thats on my list of things to take up once I buy a house.

I dont brew but my brother does, here is a pic of some hard cider he made for christmas.. It was GooooooooooooD!!
sauced.gif

Applecider.JPG

Im also waiting on some home brew beer, good thing hell trade beer for worms or id go broke!!

I use to brew a lot along with making wine, but I live in a townhouse and it would ferment in my pantry which would inturn stink up my house for about 2 weeks.

I have always wanted to give this a try, but haven't the slightest idea what I would need or how to do it. Might have to do some research and get started now that you mention it. :beer:

it is a lots of fun, and there is nothing better than drinking your own beer.

Beer is easy, you just need about 3 hours to devote to brewing it and the rest is cake.

gtaff said:
Where do you get your bottles? I got a small kit that came with 40 ounce bottles. I need smaller bottles

When I was in school I had a friend who brewed - not that bad and the price was right 8)

We got returnable long neck bottles at local bars and he had a little gizmo that would re-cap the bottles. Sanitize them in the dishwasher (high heat) 1st of course.

They sell it here:

https://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/2060

Captain Ahab said:
gtaff said:
Where do you get your bottles? I got a small kit that came with 40 ounce bottles. I need smaller bottles

When I was in school I had a friend who brewed - not that bad and the price was right 8)

We got returnable long neck bottles at local bars and he had a little gizmo that would re-cap the bottles. Sanitize them in the dishwasher (high heat) 1st of course.

They sell it here:

https://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/2060

Nice Link! My dad was looking for those bottles and caps for Olive oil from his trees in Greece! :LOL2:

I actually home brew Wine. I made my first Cabernet about a year ago. Came out with 30 bottles and its pretty good. The only problem is it takes a long time till you can actually drink it.

clarker2000 said:
I actually home brew Wine. I made my first Cabernet about a year ago. Came out with 30 bottles and its pretty good. The only problem is it takes a long time till you can actually drink it.
I could not stand dealing with the chemicals. And taking the reading with that thing and transfering them from car boy to car boy. But I did make a great white wine. :D

Does anybody have a list of things you need to brew beer, or a kit that you can recommend? Looking at getting going on something soon, but have no idea where to start.

Thanks

natetrack said:
Does anybody have a list of things you need to brew beer, or a kit that you can recommend? Looking at getting going on something soon, but have no idea where to start.

Thanks

I bought my kit from https://www.windriverbrew.com/

this is the kit I bought. I can brew lagers with this kit and my very first kit was the old world pilsner. **** good beer.
https://www.windriverbrew.com/brewmasters.html

Couple pics of the bar area. Note the barrel hanging on the wall with two tappers. Fridge is behind the wall. Nothing like 5 gallons of beer on tap in your basement. :beer:
I still have some work to do, however you get the idea. I also added a pic of my first brew. **** good stuff. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• DSCF1403a.JPG
    DSCF1403a.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 3,672
  • 08 097a.jpg
    08 097a.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 3,672
I can't believe I just found this thread, been gone from the site too long I guess. I've been homebrewing for about 12 years now. I started out with the ubiquitous Mr.Beer kit and have since graduated to a custom built brew rig, that I use for brewing either 5 or 10 gallon batches (all grain). IMHO there few finer pleasures in life that hoisting a couple pints of finely crafted homebrew to toast a victorious day of fishing. Right now I'm about to keg a bock that has been lagering for the last 2 1/2 months. I brewing everything across the specturm from stouts to belguims. I was a member of a homebrew club for a couple years until moving. The closest clubs now are about an hours drive away which is just to far for my taste. If I could do things over again, I would have learned how to speak German and would have moved to Germany after High school and went to school over there for brewing. That ship has already sailed so l guess i'll just have to settle for being a hardcore homebrewer. :D

Sweet another homebrewer. :beer:

I just polished off my Porter now I need to brew up that Oktoberfest. Now I'm wishing I started that batch a month ago. It'll be another month if not 2 before its ready. I may swing by the local store and pick up an ale kit to get me by for now. I just dont want to buy a case to hold me over. :mrgreen:

Latest posts