Radial vs bias ply tires

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktoelke54

Reaction score
One of my trailer tires is beginning to check between the tread—time to replace. I’ve always used a basic bias ply tire on my small trailers. I haven’t had any problems with them, just lucky maybe? 90 percent of my driving is highway, lots of 50-100 mi days. I cruse along at 75. The boat is a 16’ MV jon. I’ll bet the whole set up, including the trailer weight doesn’t break 1K pounds. Tires size is 4.80-12.

So I find this cool online trailer site that loves to tell you all you need to know about tires. Turns out, maybe I’ve been running the wrong tires. They seem to think radials tires, at about twice the cost of bias, would do a better job?

I’m interested in your experiences, especially those that have switched. Whether it was worth the extra cost and why.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bias ply is probably fine for a lighter combo like yours, but you may want to look into a taller tire to help reduce the rpm it turns during highway speeds. Going to a 5.3 x 12 is the easiest upgrade but some form of 13" or 14" tire/wheel is even better. But you will probably need to upgrade your hubs if you go to a larger wheel size. Sot take the time to do the research.

I haven't gone far enough or fast enough or had any issues with my bias plies to need radial tires on my boat trailer but I'm considering putting a set of ST145R12's and 2 spares on a trailer project I'm planning to build. I could do 13" tires and wheels but I would have to relocate the fenders and change the 4 lug hubs for 5 lug hubs.

Latest posts