Please list primer/paint used for galvenized repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRS62

Reaction score
I would like to amend to the previous post and ask you guys to list what you have successfully used for repairing rust areas on galvanized trailers. My trailer is in the tear down stage and I will be needing paint soon! As the previous post, I thought I was "settled" on whatever rustoleum product I could get at Home Depot, but their directions are not exactly clear. In one section, it tells you to use Aluminum primer, but then on the actual can it tells you not to use on galvanized metal! I will be able to get down there tomorrow and see what else they have.

- I have considered POR15, but I don't think that I want to spend that much $$. I am only in freshwater and I should get plenty of life out of my trailer with good rust repair and "regular" paint. If you have used this, how much did you buy? Quart? Gallon? Did you also get their prep stuff? Also, did you apply this to your entire trailer or just repair areas and regular paint for everywhere else?

- The local boat store had something similar to POR and also something called "cold galvanize." (I just noticed rustoleum has this as well.)

Anyway, can you guys list what primer/paint combo you used successfully on a galvanized trailer?

thanks!

KRS

I have pictures of the products I used on my trailer in the thread listed below in my signature. I finished my trailer back in the spring and, so far, I couldn't be happier. IMHO 8) , it looks and functions great. My strongest suggestion: Whatever primer or paint product you use, DO NOT waste your money on any type of Wagner brand sprayer. Now that we're finally getting into some less than 100-degree days, I've started stripping paint from the boat.

I used a quart of primer and a quart of paint. I put on 2 coats of paint. As you might have guessed I brushed it on and didn't have much left when finished. That being said if I do it again I will use a different products. I would go with spending more money and getting something that would last longer and be more durable. More of a commercial product than a consumer. Time is money and as you get older you remind yourself of that. Due to bad advice I used the wrong product. My trailer will probably need another job sooner than normal. I would have had to paint it sooner than I would like if I had got good advice and used the right products, I guess that's just me. If I do it again I will probably use one of these coatings https://www.cleanclassicautoparts.com/ . I have talked with the owner several times at the National Street Rod Convention about using his product on a different item. I haven't tried them yet as it goes back to the time comment mentioned above. Watch the video and they say the average vehicle frame can be done for about $60.00. I would guess it would hold up on a trailer. The owner is very knowledgeable about the products and doesn't knock the competitors. This is not an advertisement nor do I know the owners but for meeting them at the convention. I have never used any of their products so I really can't endorse them. I do know what I have spent many hours on a trailer setting outside and after completely dismantling it, rewiring, new bunks, and side loading bunks. brackets etc. I'm kind of galled!