Attaching Bunk Carpet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Landry

Reaction score
I picked up a 6 year old rig and am in the process of redoing many of the things on both boat and trailer. What is the prefered method of attaching bunk carpet? Some kind of waterproof glue or mechanical fasters such as brads or staples?

Well, I tried to find Monel staples for the T-50 staple gun when I replace my carpet. someone on here discussed them before. Couldn't find any but did find some Stainless Steel ones. I used them then read the box, which said "not for marine use"???? I couldn't figure this out. Why you couldn't use SS for marine applications. It must be more of a warning against salt water usage? Just a guess. Monel says rustproof! Expensive though and I don't know whether they're worth the price. I also glued mine down with outdoor carpet glue. It wasn't that pricy so I opted for it. I had never replaced carpet before and didn't know if after it went through the wet and dry cycle a few times it might shrink or stretch so I was trying to prevent any problems either way it went.

Okay, I guess I'm the only paranoid one here. I use 3/4 inch drywall screws with washers! I've had staples come out at the most inconvenient time and place, like the loading ramp!

Check my build in my signature below. There's details on how I cut my carpet to fit. I used glue and screws with washers (I'm a "belt and suspenders" type when I can). Been holding up great so far.

Staples made of monel really aren't worth the money. Monel is a softer metal than aluminum, and if you try to staple a harder part in the wood, like a knot, the staple will just bend up. They're also a pain if your manually hammering staples in. Now, Monel rivets are an awesome alternative to aluminum rivets if any of you guys are replacing rivets or adding rivet holes to your boat for whatever reason. As i said, they're softer than aluminum, and they won't react with aluminum, as aluminum and monel rivets are interchangable. You can use a hammer and bucking bar on monel with better results for you guys that aren't able to get your hands on a rivet gun. Realized I've been taking alot of info from the forums lately, but not giving any back, so there's a little food for thought.

Agree on the Monel staples, too soft for bunker wood. But great for upholstery, no rust. Think I got mine an an ACE Hardware. I used Stainless in an Arrow T-50 gun having just re carpeted 4 bunkers.

I use 3M spray adhesive applied to the bunk and the back of the carpet, followed up with lots of stainless steel staples for added holding power.

If you're using it in fresh water, you might be able to get by with galvanized staples, but in saltwater, you need SS or monel.

I put three coats of spar urethane and then used waterproof adhesive, Anchor 986 (same as Henry 663), to attach my carpet.. Then just put a couple staples along the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    583.9 KB · Views: 4,823
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    546.1 KB · Views: 4,823
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    602.9 KB · Views: 4,823
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Galvinized roofing nails work too.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. =D> :mrgreen:

I wrapped the carpet around the back and used roofing nails. I got a bunch left over from re-roofing my house back in '05.

I have stapled and glue in conjunction and that works very well. Also, I have used standard (not s/s or galv) and they were in pretty good shape after the carpet wasn't.

Latest posts