Bearing Grease seal, spindle - should there be a gap?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingDarius

Reaction score
I am replacing the bearings on a trailer I bought. This is my second time doing it because the first time caused grease to go all over the inside tire rim and wheel well. So, I decided to investigate.

When I took it all apart and cleaned it, I dry fit JUST the grease seal on the spindle. The grease seal is a double lipped one with the spring and is in mint condition. HOWEVER, when dry fitting I noticed there is a gap between the seal and spindle.

Is that how it is supposed to be, or should the grease seal be SNUG to the spindle?? The gap is about 1/16 of an inch. Do I just have the wrong size grease seal? The bearings and whatnot in the kit I bought all fit just fine.

Please god someone help. I called 3 tractor supply places and no one has a clue what I am talking about...

So much thanks in advance...

It's normal to have grease on the inside of the rim and on the tire. That means the grease is being pushed through. If you have to fill the hub after every use, you might have the wrong size bearing. I can't see how that could be possible, you'd think you would have some bearing damage??? I guess a space is needed for the grease to pass through. How often do you fill the hub? Do you have bearing buddies? No more info to help you.

Its normal to have grease spraying about?! That seems odd but Im just a rookie with this stuff. With there being a gap, is water supposed to be able to get in? Or does the excess grease help prevent this?

When I cleaned them, there was a s-ton of grease in the hub. So everything is well greased.

I do have bearing buddies. The bearings are in mint condition, I bought them new. They are the correct size as they ride perfectly on the spindle...its the seal I am worried about.

King It is not normal to have grease all over the hub and tire. The seal should have a snug fit on the spindle this will keep the grease in and the water out, if you can get a double lip seal that is the way to go. If you measure the spindle and the hub with a dial caliper to get the exact size then go to a bearing supply house they will be able to sell you the correct size seal.

It is not normal to have grease all over the hub and tire. The seal should have a snug fit on the spindle this will keep the grease in and the water out, if you can get a double lip seal that is the way to go. If you measure the spindle and the hub with a dial caliper to get the exact size then go to a bearing supply house they will be able to sell you the correct size seal.

+1

If your getting grease on the inside you have a problem or your over greasing your bearing buddies. [-X

It is also possible that the spindle is worn. [-o<

crazymanme2 said:
It is not normal to have grease all over the hub and tire. The seal should have a snug fit on the spindle this will keep the grease in and the water out, if you can get a double lip seal that is the way to go. If you measure the spindle and the hub with a dial caliper to get the exact size then go to a bearing supply house they will be able to sell you the correct size seal.

+1

If your getting grease on the inside you have a problem or your over greasing your bearing buddies. [-X

It is also possible that the spindle is worn. [-o<

+2

There should NOT be any kind of gap between the spindle and the rear seal. Sounds like you have a 1 inch spindle, and you've got a 1 & 1/16" seal....not sure how that happened if you bought the bearings and seals in a kit. If grease is slinging out, then, you know water is getting in.

Check the ID of the seal with a set of calipers, I bet it measures 1.0625" instead of 1.000"

If it does measure at 1 inch, then, you should check the OD of the spindle, particularly where the seal rides, to make sure it hasn't worn down....although, it would take a LOT to wear it down, like having a bunch of sand, and going for a while with no grease.

Those bearing kits will fit most but not all trailers. You are going to need different seals.

Guys thank you so much. Headed to the store to get some new grease seals!

Anyone know an easy way to get the old one out without going from the inside of the hub? I needed to move the trailer last night and had to repack and install everything. Be nice if I can somehow just somehow pull the old seal out without messing with it from inside the hub...

Btw the spindle measured 1-1/4. Im guessin the seal i have is 1-3/8???

KingDarius said:
Anyone know an easy way to get the old one out without going from the inside of the hub? I needed to move the trailer last night and had to repack and install everything. Be nice if I can somehow just somehow pull the old seal out without messing with it from inside the hub...

Just put the hub on a workbench seal up, use a punch (or screwdriver) + hammer, and carefully smack the old seal a couple of times until it creases a bit, then it should just lift out. Destroys it, but so what?

You can also try to pry out the old seal, using a small prybar (one that looks like a big flat-blade screw driver)

Don't you just LOVE working on bearings and hubs? LMAO! I usually end up with more grease on me than what I put back in the hubs. :roll:

Take one of those seals with you to compare against the ones that you are going to pick up as a precaution.

OK here's an update. The grease seal i have is a GS-1250 which has an ID of 1.25". The bearings are 44649 and they fit perfectly.

When measured with a caliper the actual size of the spindle (where the seal rides, the actual spindle is 1") is 1.23". It doesnt look "worn" either...but maybe it is? The trailer is from '92 (I bought the boat off some dude)

What the hell is going on? I cant find a seal for 1.23. I am going to lose my mind...

Thoughts? I tried NAPA and they are about as useful as the customer service of tractor supply...

IMG_2528.JPG

If your races are number L44610 see if you can find seal numbers
1.) 10174vb
2.) T534823
3.) T515191vb
They are for 1-1/4" ID.
Bearing number L44649 is for 1-1/16" spindle L44643 is for 1" spindle.

I had the exact same problem. I completely replaced the hubs, bearings, races, and seals. When I put it all together and took it for a 20mi test drive on the freeway one of the seals leaked and sprayed all over the inside of one of the wheels. I figured I screwed up, either bent the seal when i was installing it or over greased the bearing buddy. It was the right size seal.

I ordered a new seal took it all apart and put it back together and still had the same problem.

I decided to just say screw it and leave it. If you've got bearing buddies and you check that they're full of grease before you go, or even right before you launch, you should be fine.

There should be a positive pressure on the grease from the bearing buddy keeping the water from coming in the seal. Just keep it full of grease (but not overfilled) and you're good in my opinion.

If the rear seal does not fit the spindle correctly, it's not all good. Water can infiltrate the bearings, whether you've got them greased or not. In saltwater, this means a very fast demise for the bearings. But even in freshwater, it's still going to take its toll sooner or later.

It seems the best thing to do is replace the axle/spindle combo...that seems to be what everything is pointing at. Im guessing that over the 20 years, where the grease seal rides just wore down.

Im assuming with a new axle/spindles the grease seal seat will measure 1.25". Would that be correct?

I just want to do this the right way.

The the suggested seals won fit over the lip when the seal rides.

If the fit issue is from wear, there will be a defined groove in the collar that the seal rides on. I see a shiny spot but it's hard to tell from the picture whether that is an actual groove or not. There should be no groove... just a flat, smooth surface.

An SKF 12590 has a 1.23 id. but I don't know what od you need.

Do you have the original grease seals that came off of the axle for cross reference? I am assuming those actually sealed at one time?

1.986" is what the OD on the GS-1250 that is in there now has, so I assume its the same. When I got the trailer, the inside of the wheels were caked in grease. Its the same seal as the gs-1250...

There is a slight groove...

Latest posts