Old Bow Eye Snapped..

Trailer related issues and discussion goes here.
libertyfish

Old Bow Eye Snapped..

Post by libertyfish »

Hey Guys, I am new to this forum and thought my first post would be of an issue I had yesterday when pulling my 84 Smoker Craft out of the Reservior... I was cranking her up and the Bow Eye snapped right off. The boat is older, and I thought it'd still be simple to find a replacement, but no such luck so far! Does anyone know where I should look to find one of these for my boat?? I can't seem to find the V-shaped style that was originally on there anywhere I look.. alll I can find are the 2-bolt style, and mine has 4. Frustrating since she's sitting crooked on the trailer and I know it's gotta be a cheap part!

Any help would he greatly appreciated!!
Attachments
photo (1).JPG

J.P.

Old Bow Eye Snapped..

Post by J.P. »

welcome to tinboats!

looks like it's made from cast iron or aluminum, those are brittle. i don't know where you could buy an original nor would i recommend it since it's brittle (i know, i know, the original lasted for many years, but it would suck if it breaks again many years from now.....).
i think you should replace it with stainless steel. it appears to be an easy fab job using SS angle with the eye welded along the corner, drill 4 holes and bolt it on ( i won't trust a rivet for this purpose)...

the simplest option is to drill 2 holes for a U-bolt, and patch up the old rivet holes....

sawmill

Old Bow Eye Snapped..

Post by sawmill »

I would leave the old eye on the boat and saw the eye off this bracket. You can get a crome U bolt at a boat supply and use this by drilling new holes thru the old bracket and thru the boat to mount the new eye. Much easier than riveting one to the boat.

BillG

Old Bow Eye Snapped..

Post by BillG »

I had to make this exact repair on my 18' sylvan.

Drill the rivets out and patch the holes. I used stainless steel pan head bolts and sealed them over with water weld.

Get a 3/8" by 2" or whatever size stainless steel u-bolt you want to use. Hold the u-bolt on the center of the V and mark where you need to drill. Drill two 3/8" holes and insert u-bolt. I added about ten washers to each stud and bolted. It is a good idea to add some sort of backer to prevent eye from pulling thru. I also sealed around bow eye with the water weld.

I cranked the boat about 12" on the bunks out of water and it held fine. This is on an 18' deep v aluminum open bow with a 125 hp motor and 12 gal. gas.
120730_016.jpg
This is before I patched holes and sealed eye
This is before I patched holes and sealed eye