Rivets on bunks ??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNtroller

Reaction score
Does it do any damage for rivets to actually sit on a bunk while the boat is on the trailer?

Are your bunks carpeted? If not then it might be a little hard on the rivets.

Bunks are carpeted, I just noticed the dents/marks on the bunk carpet when I launched yesterday and wondered if the rivets would be damaged/weakened over time by supporting the weight of the hull and the motor on the trailer.

My bunks sit below many rivets, and are also carpeted. No issues that I can tell. I did notice they wore the paint off the rivets after I re-painted my hull last summer, but nothing more. Now, rocks just below the surface will do a number on your rivets though. Don't ask how I know :shock:

And just FYI, but I upgraded all 3 of my rollers (keel, bow and stern) with the yellow thermoplastic type. Had the old, I'm assumming orginial, black rubber ones on there before. Night and day difference with ease of loading/unloading my boat.

Thanks, this is my first "riveted" boat, so gotta ask.

The trailer is made by Eagle trailers, and it has the yellow colored rollers from the factory.

What will small rocks/gravel below the surface do? I assume you mean embedded in the bunk carpet right?

Why get rid of the carpet, the entire hull is painted from the factory, and I realize the carpet will eventually scuff and wear on the factory paint, but why?

TNtroller said:
Why get rid of the carpet, the entire hull is painted from the factory, and I realize the carpet will eventually scuff and wear on the factory paint, but why?

Go with bunk slicks - much easier to deal with and makes launching and loading a snap

I made my own out of old plastic cutting boards and countersunk ss screws

You can buy them as well - BPS and most trailer places

Do the bunk slicks do any damage to the hull, such as scratches, etc.?

Can dirt and such get embedded in the "slicks"??

Captain Ahab said:
TNtroller said:

Go with bunk slicks - much easier to deal with and makes launching and loading a snap

I made my own out of old plastic cutting boards and countersunk ss screws

You can buy them as well - BPS and most trailer places
Don't need ''bunk slicks'' on small boats.. IMO!

Latest posts