trailer modification

Trailer related issues and discussion goes here.
frydaddy

trailer modification

Post by frydaddy »

I got all the wood off. it is 62inch between fenders. im pretty sure boat will sit in there but I forgot to measure the boat. brought the trailer home so I can get it finished and put boat back on her.
Attachments
20150409_164000.jpg

frydaddy

trailer modification

Post by frydaddy »

nowgrn4 wrote:I'm stumped. The center roller(rollers?) really helps center the hull and eases cranking until it rests on the bunks when retrieving. Does the front entry have a Vee or is it flat across the front?
it is flat across the front. this old trailer and boat were never a match other than they both are very old school and made of hard material. the walk is welded so its either cut it off or raise bunks at least a couple inches.

overboard

trailer modification

Post by overboard »

I'm doing the same thing to a trailer right now for a 1654 FB Tracker GRIZZLEY. I also launch at some shallow launches and am rigging a trailer so the boat will sit on it as low as I can possibly get it.
I also don't use carpet on the bunks.

flatboat

trailer modification

Post by flatboat »

Spray the carpeted bunks with silicone spray and you will be surprised how easy it slips off , just don't unhook it at steep ramps. I wrap the rope around the winch upright once ,unhook it unwrap it and off it goes . Not too fond of rollers , bunks spread the load better . to get your boat a little lower ,if you have room you can flip the axel to the bottom of the springs . I put snowmobile trailer tires ,like golfcart tires low and wide . made it easier to launch at unimproved ramps

frydaddy

trailer modification

Post by frydaddy »

taking forever. sanded trailer and then 2 days of rain, primed it and then another day of rain, painted and 2more days of rain. bolted on bunks and carpeted 1 and yep started raining. I decided to double up on the bunks and it still might not clear fenders. if not I will have to use bunk brackets and find different roller brackets. the ones I have will be extended as high as they go with it the way it is now.
Attachments
20150417_181644.jpg

richg99

trailer modification

Post by richg99 »

Have you measured the boat? From your first picture, it looked like the boat fit fine and was slightly below the tops of the fenders.

It is hard to judge without putting the boat on the trailer.

You'll figure it out. Good Luck, rich

p.s. Pouring like the blazes here in North Houston (Willowbrook mall) too.

frydaddy

trailer modification

Post by frydaddy »

yes I measured it and laid out the ribs on the boat so bunks would lay flat between ribs.. trailer frame is 48, bottom of boat is 56 and inside the fenders is 62. but at mid point of sides it is about 66, sides slope out a lot. I figure I will get a couple guys to help me set it back on there and hopefuly it will clear at least a couple inches. if not Im thinking I could cut some 2inch steel tubing for blocks under the bunks and raise it up a couple more inches. previous plywood crap was 8 inches but im sure I don't need to go that high

frydaddy

trailer modification

Post by frydaddy »

DONE. just keeping fingers crossed that the boat clears the fenders. hoping for no rain and 40 to 50% humidty tomorrow so I can get gatorglide on bottom of boat and get moving forward with it.
Attachments
20150418_124832.jpg

frydaddy

trailer modification

Post by frydaddy »

im not good at this picture stuff. when I viewd it where it is saved it is upright but when I post it it is rotated. do I have to rotate it where it is saved or on here before I click submit?

nowgrn4

trailer modification

Post by nowgrn4 »

Looks great! After you get the hull on the bunks adjust the rollers firmly against the hull to help support the center line. Make sure the bunks protrude behind the transom a little bit to support the transom/engine.

Nice job.
17' Pro-Line 115HP DI Johnrude Bay rig
1652 Weld-Craft 50HP Johnrude fish camp rig
17' Grumman canoe 3.3HP Johnrude on side mount creek runner

richg99

trailer modification

Post by richg99 »

On a couple of trailers that I've had, the fenders actually had a slanted portion on the inside, to allow for wider boats.

nowgrn4

trailer modification

Post by nowgrn4 »

richg99 wrote:On a couple of trailers that I've had, the fenders actually had a slanted portion on the inside, to allow for wider boats.

The guy across the street from me has a custom trailer like that. It looks like carpet covered plywood half moon cutouts attached to the insides of the fenders. They nestle right up against the hull.
17' Pro-Line 115HP DI Johnrude Bay rig
1652 Weld-Craft 50HP Johnrude fish camp rig
17' Grumman canoe 3.3HP Johnrude on side mount creek runner

richg99

trailer modification

Post by richg99 »

Yep, half moons with carpet to protect the boat. I imagine most any trailer fender could be modified that way.

frydaddy

trailer modification

Post by frydaddy »

I was actualy thinking that I will probably rub the fenders from time to time loading on windy days with it being a flat bottom boat and no V to catch center of trailer. so if it clears I may put a strip of carpet or weather strip along inside of fender to save paint. or would it be better to just get or make some short wooden guideons.

richg99

trailer modification

Post by richg99 »

Pvc guides are easy and worth their weight on a windy day.