Trailer Rebuild: Winch Hook problems with Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hagbard

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought an old Alumacraft 1257 with trailer. While both work well they need updating especially the trailer.

I stripped and repainted the trailer with bed liner paint, new lights and wiring, new coupler, new chains. All is going well except for the winch hook!

For the life of me I can not find a winch rope that has a hook that will fit around the jon boat handle!

Is it safe to use a heavy duty carabiner or quick link?

Is it safe to grind out the inside of the new hook to make room for the handle?

Also there is a safety chain on the front of the boat. Should I look into transom tie downs too or is that not a big deal with such a light boat? I do run a ratchet strap around the boat and trailer around the rear bench seat.

Thanks for any suggestions

You need some kind of transom tie down(s), gotta use something, lots of options there.

Carabiner is no good for winch, stick with steel. Marine store should have a variety of hooks to use or go online and get it.

Safety chain in front is also a good idea.

Tim

You could always put a SS U-Bolt on the bow for your winch hook to connect to.. Works pretty good for me. I just added a a small backing plate ahead of the nuts on the inside along with 3M-5200 inside and outside.

Thanks for the replies.

What is the proper way to attach guide on rollers to the trailer? The vertical ones with rollers at the top?

It was rigged with a u bracket and washers as spacers to set the correct width for the boat. They are are rusty and the brackets are bent. There must be a more elegant solution?

There are a variety of heavy duty quick clamps that will work. Check home depot, etc.

Like this....

86726886-2822-4731-9890-10d44c9b8537_1000.jpg

I had a similar problem as the hook on the winch strap would not fit into the bow eye of my jon boat. I purchased a clevis and attached it to the bow eye and it is large enough to accommodate the hook.

Clevis.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. Finally got it all setup this weekend. I ended up using a half inch quick link (working load 2200lbs).

Does the positioning of everything look ok here? Is the winch setup too high? Roller on top on the handle and winch rope going below the roller is correct?

Full_Size_Render.jpg

hagbard said:
Does the positioning of everything look ok here?
No

hagbard said:
Is the winch setup too high?
Yes - very much so. The winch strap should be about level. The way you have it the winch is going to be trying to lift the bow of the boat rather than pulling it straight back.

hagbard said:
Roller on top on the handle and winch rope going below the roller is correct?

If you mean the Bow Stop (in your setup a roller) on top of the bow handle - Yes that is fine. And the winch strap under the Bow Stop is correct.

Great, thanks Clint.

I'll move the winch down. Probably close to the lowest position.

Is a roller ok for a bow stop or should that be replaced with something else - especially since the front of the boat is flat...?

hagbard said:
Great, thanks Clint.
You are very welcome. I have gotten a lot of help and advice on this forum and return it when I can.

hagbard said:
I'll move the winch down. Probably close to the lowest position.
Mount it so the winch strap is level without the winch pulling the boat up or down.

hagbard said:
Is a roller ok for a bow stop or should that be replaced with something else - especially since the front of the boat is flat...?
The roller is fine.

Made the adjustment last night. I moved the winch down as low as it can go. Still not totally straight...

image.jpg

image.jpg

I also cut a cedar 2x4 to replace the roller. I haven't carpeted it yet. Since the winch is still at a bit of an angle the wood is getting hit...

image.jpg

Not sure if I should make some more adjustments here?

Looks good, though you might experience some "hangups" .

Might happen due to the slight ridge on the boat that I think I see. Rounding off the cedar block top edge may stop any "hangups".

Not sure if I am viewing it correctly, of course.

richg99

Also you can rewind the strap on the winch so it comes off the bottom.

And on a related note - I did pick up a pair of boat buckles for the transom tie down but again - the hooks don't fit around the alum craft handles...

Does anyone have a suggestion for transom tie downs for alum craft jon boats? Or should I replace the handles? I'm planning on trailering it up to the Canadian border so I want to make sure everything is in good shape. New hubs and bearings on the way too.

Here is what the back of the boat looks like

Full_Size_Render_2.jpg

Latest posts