Bunk location on tilt trailer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20022

Reaction score
Last week I was looking at my trailer and realized it's a tilt trailer. I knew it is custom made, but tilt makes it way better. It currently doesn't have any bunks.
Since i will be putting a heavy 50hp Johnson on the tin I figure i will need to install bunks to support the hull. Currently the kneel is the only part of the hull resting on the trailer. Sky is the limit sorta... I have access to a welder and already plan to relocate the front side bunk post behind the tire for better bunk to hull fitment.
Any ideas and advice are appreciated.
da9a2e4dd7d331793b23e46fdbb16365.jpg

7a5a2e153605c1674e5cb1f3c7b068cd.jpg

If I am seeing the hull correctly, it appears that you have a slightly rounded hull. The brackets sold for that purpose are designed to allow the bunks to tilt sideways. I'd avoid the strakes and the rivet heads. I added pvc guttering to my bunks to make launching and recovery easier.

Rich
https://www.ceshowroom.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CWR57759&click=2&gclid=CjwKEAjww_a8BRDB-O-OqZb_vRASJAA9yrc5FbUycWqIfAkrKHtjEZnm4dGXXqTrq3D7p9JGO4M4LhoC9pDw_wcB

Yes the hull is rounded for sure. I'm not sure if I should add two or four bunks across the transom. I guess that's my main concern.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Guess it would depend on the weight of the motor and hull. My G3 1652 with a 50 hp two cycle Johnson has two bunks. Seems plenty to me, as long as they properly support the transom.

I can't remember a boat that I've owned (lots of them) that had four bunks, other than a 20 ft Gulf-Coast with a 150 hp 'Rude on it.

richg99

If you were questioning if the tilt feature of the trailer would make any difference in the bunk location, I believe the answer would be "no." Set the bunks to properly support the boat - that is probably where it will be spending most of its time.

Latest posts