Is there any hope for this trailer with this boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmshoemaker

Reaction score
Is this trailer too short to be useable?
Another user remarked that this trailer is way too short for my new project boat. I thought that once it was wound tight up onto the trailer that it would be close to flush on the rear end, but I was wrong. As you can see, the transom overhangs about 25" . It was such a hassle finding a trailer with a title that I could afford that I really want to make this one work, but it obviously is too short in its current form.

The bow post should probably be replaced anyway, so I was thinking I could get a new one and install it forward of where the current one is to get me a few inches there, and then install bunks that overhang about 18" beyond the rear of the trailer frame to support the transom.

Can I make this work?

Attachments

• bow post.jpg
    bow post.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 2,877
  • short trailer.jpg
    short trailer.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 2,877
  • trailer with truck.jpg
    trailer with truck.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 2,873
I was the one who mentioned it looked a bit small - but I think you can make it work with bunks rather than the rollers you have on there now. Rollers aren't preferred on aluminum anyway as they create pressure points that can easily cause dimpling/ bending.

If you use a 2x4 for the rear bunks mount it so it makes contact with its narrow side rather than its flat face and have them overhang the back of the trailer extending all the way out to the end of the transom. It doesn't look all that far, maybe 18" or so - if you cut a single 8' piece in half you should be good with that. If a 2x4 still flexes over time move up to a 2x6 and mount the same - a 2x6 would likely be overkill and only raise the boat up higher off the trailer making launching from shallow grade launches an issue.

Yep!! onthewater102, your comment has been echoing in my brain since you posted it, and now you have MADE MY DAY!!! I will not even waste the time with the 2x4's -- I'll get 2x6's, some bunk carpet and get rid of those rollers. I've learned so much just in the short time I have been a member of this community! Stand by for the sad photos of the transom in the boat forum...

It would also be beneficial to raise it up an inch or two because the boat is just about sitting on those fenders as it is now.

Richg99 came up with a great alternative to carpeting bunks - getting vinyl gutter down spouts & cutting them lengthwise and attach them over the wood. I haven't done it yet myself, though I have the material for whenever I get my 16' off its trailer - but the concept is as simple as it sounds and by all accounts produces a very slick bunk.

Whether you staple them on or screw them on all your hardware is affixed to the vertical side faces of the bunks so there is no chance of accidentally gouging the underside of the boat.

If the rollers are in good shape you might be able to sell them on Ebay - new they're a lot more expensive than bunks, might be enough value in them to cover the cost of the conversion.

I would use the 2x6. From the support on the frame that holds the roller frame. Measuring to a 1" pass the transom. To the end of the trailer, go the same distance pass the front roller support. Looks to be around 6 or7 feet long.

By using the 2x6 it looks to raise the boat up enough, so it will move forward. So your bow eye will be on top of the winchstand roller. That's where you really want it anyway. To secure the bow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took a tiny jet ski trailer and made it longer for an 18' canoe. It was real easy. Basically I replaced the tounge. Here is a build thread. I bet your tounge is the same. You may need a screen name to sign in but I don't know many outdoorsman that don't have one to Expedition portal.
https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/159299-Fitting-an-18-canoe-on-a-jet-ski-trailer

Have a welder add more length to your tongue and then move the bow post forward. A fairly cheap fix.

thanks for all the great input, folks. Soon as we get done with "daughter number one graduation week" I can get on it!

RedHatRedNeck said:
Stumpalump said:

Went to go look at that build. Images are t available to be seen by anyone who isn't a member to that place. Could you put one up?

2gsg3l0.jpg

Extended the tongue.
If you put longer bunks that overhang the rear of the trailer you will not have enough tongue weight to safely tow the trailer. You want about 10% of the weight of the loaded boat and trailer to be on the tongue.

"Extended the tongue.
If you put longer bunks that overhang the rear of the trailer you will not have enough tongue weight to safely tow the trailer. You want about 10% of the weight of the loaded boat and trailer to be on the tongue."

...Lckem....beat me to it. You normally can't extend the bunks too far back without screwing up your tongue weight. By the time you buy a longer tongue and mount it...you may be spending more money than it would take to find another trailer.

richg99

There isn't any weight to that boat and it doesn't extend all that far beyond the back end of the trailer - worry about the bunks first and extend the tongue only if you're going to deck the rear end out with a lot of weight or hang a heavy outboard from it.

Is there any concern over the tongue being too long if I have a new section welded on? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I guess I would only have to lengthen it 2 feet or so.

Latest posts