Best way to prep trailer for paint.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
The trailer for my Tracker is starting to look pretty bad. It is white and rust is starting to show through in places, nothing structural. I also need to do some work to the bunks.

Is water blasting a good option? The kit is not that expensive. My air compressor is not large enough to run a sand blaster.

Once it is prepped, I would like to spray it with black Rustoleum enamel.

I've used a wire wheel on my 4.5" angle grinder followed by phosphoric acid or rust reformer then primer and top coat.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I've used a wire wheel on my 4.5" angle grinder followed by phosphoric acid or rust reformer then primer and top coat.

I've done that before as well, just thought water blasting might be a little less miserable.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Is water blasting the same as pressure washing?

No. It's essentially the same as sand blasting, except that you use high pressure water instead of compressed air to carry the media.

Im not an expert but to me if water blasting easily removes the rust and loose paint then why not use it. If you decide to go that way I would sure be interested in hearing how it worked.

Is it that "Dustless Blasting" I see on the TV show My Classic Car? If so it looks interesting.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Is it that "Dustless Blasting" I see on the TV show My Classic Car? If so it looks interesting.

Yep.

I ordered the attachment, but it will be a few days before it gets here.

MrGiggles said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

Yep.

I ordered the attachment, but it will be a few days before it gets here.
i had this done to my trailer, pretty involved, took down to bare metal...very happy with final product...not familiar with a DIY version...will follow your process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
What is the DIY kit you bought?
Please post pictures.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Pressure-Washer-Blaster-Sand-and-Wet-Blasting-Nozzle-Gun-1-4-Quick-Release/312498605367?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'm going to pick up some different types of media, since it seems that some feed better than others.

I see it attaches to a pressure washer.
Let us know how well it works.

If you are interested, Eastwood's website has a couple of videos showing of one of these pressure washer/media blasters working. Pretty neat.

I also hope to hear how it works out on the trailer. I guess the pressure is on now. (groan)

1960 yellowboat said:
i just used an orbital sander and then painted it with aluminum paint. worked out fine.

Looks real nice! My new to me boat/trailer could use a little tlc. The trailer has some surface rust spots. I like how yours came out.

When you say "aluminum paint" do you mean paint that is (for lack of better term) "infused with aluminum"? Or do you mean paint that is meant for aluminum? Did you find it harder to work with than your basic epoxy or latex paint?

I used the good old fashioned aluminum paint people used on chain link fences. About $15 a gallon. Sanded all surfaces and put 3 coats on it. Hardly use a pint.

1960 yellowboat said:
I used the good old fashioned aluminum paint people used on chain link fences. About $15 a gallon. Sanded all surfaces and put 3 coats on it. Hardly use a pint.

Good to know. I'll remember this when the time comes for me to paint my trailer. Thanks, and good job on your trailer!

1960 yellowboat said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
It could be Rustoleum brands "Aluminum" colored paint.
Is Buffalo Park still there?
I fished the Fox around there all the time in the 60's
Yes Buffalo park is there. At some point they plan to remove the Carpentersville dam.

Latest posts