Resources/input on trailer springs? They're so stiff!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enwez

Reaction score
I am planning on doing a complete restore of my trailer. Plenty of resources for paint, packing bearings, etc.

But I was thinking while I am going through all the trouble..... can I replace the trailer springs with lighter ones? My trailer bounces around like CRAZY and I cringe anytime I hit a bump (Like the wheels will leave the ground). I drive pretty slow on rough roads too. If the trailer springs are too strong to be compressed then it's like there isn't even suspension. I doubt my boat weighs more than 400lbs fully loaded (though if i go through with this I will weigh it). From what I can find online this trailer is rated for 1,000lbs or 1200lbs (depending on model). So if at a minimum it can support TWO of my boats it's like it doesn't even have suspension!

Has anyone refitted their leaf springs for the specific weight of their boat? I feel like this is such a cheap way to SERIOUSLY improve the way the trailer tows. Leaf springs are so cheap. I would weight my boat/trailer, add 100lbs safety factor, and boom there is the new weight capacity.

Again my trailer springs barely budge when I hit a bump. I've broken trailer lights from hitting a pot hole (Though tbf those plastics ones are so shitty it is not surprising, goo thing they're cheap).

Yes you can tailor the springs and tires to better suit your needs. You could remove a leaf or two from the spring pack to reduce their capacity.

I'm not an expert but sure understand your concern. I have found etrailer.com to be very helpful. They have a massive Q&A database. You can also send them a question. My experience is they respond pretty quickly. I suspect if you lay this out to them with as many details as you have they might be able to respond.

Here is an example of an an existing Q&A that, while not the same, is related to your issue.

Question:
Problem is too LITTLE load, not too much! My 5m. boat weighs 85kg max very simple trailer is around 100kg. and unbraked. Nothing else gets put in the boat. Suspension units are 250kg rated. Result is that suspension is way too stiff and the whole rig bounces when running over the slightest unevenness, low gully in roadside etc. Would a Timbren installation at least insulate the boat from the constant shocks? Thanks for any help you can give.

Answer:
I do have an option for you but the Timbren Trailer Suspension Enhancement System Light-Duty Trailers part # TTRA1702 is not going to soften your ride. It would most likely do just the opposite of that. The only option we really have for you to soften your suspension would be to replace it with one of the Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension Systems like part # A20RS545. The Axle-Less system uses a progressive-rate spring to help absorb road shock and provide a smoother ride.

itty bitty tires running at 80psi don't help the ride quality either. post up a pic of your springs, it's quite likely you can remove a leaf and test drive it to see immediate improvement. Also, as mentioned, larger tires make a big difference. And with a larger tire, you don't need to run as much pressure, which further softens the ride.

I'll be dealing with this in the near future, the size of boat I have dictates a certain trailer size. A heavy duty long lasting trailer is rated 2500 lbs, but my boat would most likely be a quarter of that.

Cheers,

Brian

86tuning said:
itty bitty tires running at 80psi don't help the ride quality either. post up a pic of your springs, it's quite likely you can remove a leaf and test drive it to see immediate improvement. Also, as mentioned, larger tires make a big difference. And with a larger tire, you don't need to run as much pressure, which further softens the ride.

Don't have pics of it at the moment, it is parked at my Dad's house (No room at my apartment!). It is a 1990 trailer and I have no idea if the parts are stock or not when I bought it off of a guy 1.5 years ago. The tires have a 55mph max speed rating and need to be replaced. I want to get ones rated or at least 70mph. The springs could be 30 years old. The bearings definitely need service if not replacing.

I will look into 15" wheels (currently has 13"). Easy enough since I am already replacing the tires/wheels. Thanks for the suggestion!

So I think I will just buy new springs since they are not even very expensive. I'm already stripping it for paint, new tires/wheels, redoing wiring, possibly replacing bearings, and winch. Might as well get new springs!

LDUBS said:
I have found etrailer.com to be very helpful. They have a massive Q&A database. You can also send them a question. My experience is they respond pretty quickly. I suspect if you lay this out to them with as many details as you have they might be able to respond.

Awesome, thanks! I will see what they have for suggestions. Cheers.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Yes you can tailor the springs and tires to better suit your needs. You could remove a leaf or two from the spring pack to reduce their capacity.

Ok glad to know this is a thing people already do! I think I will go for new springs since I can afford them and my current ones could be 30years old... Thanks!

13" tires are fine just get tires that are load rated to match your load and always inflate trailer tires to the max pressure.

enwez said:
So I think I will just buy new springs since they are not even very expensive. I'm already stripping it for paint, new tires/wheels, redoing wiring, possibly replacing bearings, and winch. Might as well get new springs!

Sounds like a fun project!

If the old springs aren't rusty and come apart, I'd just separate them and pull out a leaf or two, depending on design. Old steel and new steel are still steel. Spring steel doesn't care if it's brand new or 30 years old.

The length of the spring also affects the travel, and therefore the bumpiness of the setup. Longer leafs will move more than little short leafs. Again, post up a pic, otherwise we are all just guessing and shooting in the dark with suggestions. Also, we all love to see your stuff!

Cheers,

Brian

Latest posts