V block or roller for the bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action

Reaction score
I need a need v block or roller for the bow on my trailer......I am going to redo the whole set up so I can use what ever is best.....what do you like? Any pictures of a good winch and v block/roller set up ?
Thanks
Jack

I suppose a V-block might provide a slight edge for centering the bow, but to me that is kind of a stretch. Beyond that I don't really understand why one would be better than the other. I literally had to go look to see which I had. I have a roller.

Just make sure your winch strap/bow eye is below the V-block (or roller). If it is above, there is not too much keeping your boat from riding right up through your back window. Also make sure you have a safety chain to the bow eye in addition to your winch strap.

Guess it depends on how the boat loads.

My current boat slides up the winch post, it actually holds quite a bit of a weight. It has a V block, but would work better with a roller.

If the trailer has keel rollers up front that hold most of the weight, and the winch post is just a stop, a V block would be fine. Otherwise a roller is preferable.