Trailer bunk height

Trailer related issues and discussion goes here.
ocbinva@gmail.com

Trailer bunk height

Post by ocbinva@gmail.com »

I have an aluminum Tracker V16. I picked up a new ( to me) trailer but had rollers. I have everything for bunks but need to order bunker bracket risers. Is there a method to determine height? They come in 6" up to 11" tall? Is goal to just clear trailer? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

MrGiggles

Trailer bunk height

Post by MrGiggles »

You will probably need the tall ones for a Deep V.

That's really the only reason I can see behind the different options, the taller ones allow more room between the keel and the trailer cross members for V bottom boats, flat bottoms need hardly any bunk height.

You would need to measure from the lowest part of the keel to the area between the strakes where the bunks ride to determine how high they need to be.

JL8Jeff

Trailer bunk height

Post by JL8Jeff »

Here's my trailer when it had the rollers compared to the bunks now. I have a mod-v and it sat 5" too high with the rollers. I think my bunk brackets are the 6" ones and I have the front ones as low as possible and the rear ones are raised about 1". So this might give you an idea of how much height you need. It will depend on how far apart you space the bunks as to how high they will need to be. I aligned mine right along the strakes on the bottom of the boat and it's like automatic centering which loads so easily.
trailer3.jpg
trailer4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 Lowe Roughneck 1652 VT with Merc 60/45 jet 2 stroke

LDUBS

Trailer bunk height

Post by LDUBS »

JL8Jeff wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 10:11 Here's my trailer when it had the rollers compared to the bunks now. I have a mod-v and it sat 5" too high with the rollers. I think my bunk brackets are the 6" ones and I have the front ones as low as possible and the rear ones are raised about 1". So this might give you an idea of how much height you need. It will depend on how far apart you space the bunks as to how high they will need to be. I aligned mine right along the strakes on the bottom of the boat and it's like automatic centering which loads so easily.
trailer3.jpg
trailer4.jpg

That is a nice comparison. My trailer has these unusual brackets that don't have the same range of adjustability. I'm not sure why EZ Loader used that style. The ones you used seem pretty standard.

By the way, I hope you solved the regulator/rectifier problem.
Have Rod - Will Fish

onthewater102

Trailer bunk height

Post by onthewater102 »

I would add rollers to the two cross-members closest to the roller up by the bow (not to the aft-most cross member)
I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

1985 Bass Tracker III

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT (SOLD)

JL8Jeff

Trailer bunk height

Post by JL8Jeff »

onthewater102 wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 09:42 I would add rollers to the two cross-members closest to the roller up by the bow (not to the aft-most cross member)
There are only 2 crossmembers, what looks like a middle one is the axle. If I add a roller to the front crossmember, I would need to raise the front of the bunks by a bit which I don't want to do.

onthewater102

Trailer bunk height

Post by onthewater102 »

Sorry - you're right, looked too quickly. The axle would be sitting deeper below the trailer frame.

I would be concerned you'd hit that crossmember with your 'V''ed hull on certain boat ramps.
I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

1985 Bass Tracker III

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT (SOLD)

JL8Jeff

Trailer bunk height

Post by JL8Jeff »

onthewater102 wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 14:31 I would be concerned you'd hit that crossmember with your 'V''ed hull on certain boat ramps.
There's not much of a V, it's a mod V hull. I watched it close the first few times I loaded the boat but the bunks hold the hull up enough to clear the crossmember.