Cone to rim?

Trailer related issues and discussion goes here.
Zum

Cone to rim?

Post by Zum »

Lug nuts....the cone or conical shape goes toward the rim to center the stud, correct?
Hope thats how it is, had a person(sales person) telling me otherwise today, now im not 100%. They were saying flat side to tbe rim, cone out.

zekepa

Cone to rim?

Post by zekepa »

yes conical side to rim on every trailer tire I have ever seen.

When you get into semi truck and and some cars they can have different styles of lug nuts but the typical "acorn" style nuts found on trailer are pointy end in.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Cone to rim?

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls »

Cone to rim.
Maybe call the sales persons boss and let them know their employ is tell costumers to do something unsafe.
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

Zum

Cone to rim?

Post by Zum »

I
lckstckn2smknbrls wrote: 10 May 2021, 18:56 Cone to rim.
Maybe call the sales persons boss and let them know their employ is tell costumers to do something unsafe.
It was a RV trailer shop, really had me thinking I was wrong.Why would they even make them that way if it wasnt needed....anyways, glad im not totally crazy.
Thanks for the replies

CedarRiverScooter

Cone to rim?

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

Even my cars allow wheels have lug nuts with a taper to help get them started.

GYPSY400

Re: Cone to rim?

Post by GYPSY400 »

Some lug nuts you can't even get the socket on the cone side. And the cone helps center the rim on the hub at each stud, you will notice that the rim will also have the appropriate female taper.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

huntnfish

Post by huntnfish »

Definitely cone in to the rim, that's what holds your rim centered on the hub. It's called "lug-centric" some styles do have a flat nut or bolt and the center of the rim fits tight on the hub, that's called "hub-centric." Just learned this at a tire shop the other day

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

overboard

Cone to rim?

Post by overboard »

GYPSY400 wrote: 28 May 2021, 04:56 And the cone helps center the rim on the hub at each stud, you will notice that the rim will also have the appropriate female taper.
I had purchased 4 new white slotted rims for a 78 Ford truck, after all the factory lug nuts I was using kept loosening up I finally realized that those rims didn't have the female taper like all the other steel rims that I had ever seen. After talking to someone else who had experienced the same problem, I ended up having to buy the long acorn lug nuts in order to keep that particular set of rims from coming loose.

GYPSY400

Post by GYPSY400 »

lckstckn2smknbrls wrote:Cone to rim.
This is why salesman are salesman, and mechanics are mechanics..

GYPSY400

Post by GYPSY400 »

PaleShade wrote:I've never encountered this before.
Its so obvious you probably didn't even know it was a thing! You will notice that most rims have a female taper around the stud, and that will fit the " proper" lug nut with a taper.

The lugs center the rim to the hubb.. not the large hub hole in the center- that means nothing.