Trailer lights wired wrong??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOSKN5

Reaction score
What would cause the lights on my trailer to not work unless my headlights are turned on??? Nothing works unless my lights are on... it was like this when I bought it and I could retrace everything but hopefully someone will have a solution... thanks for the help...

Captain Ahab said:
Screw it - just drive with the lights on
Funny as that sounds,starting last week it's the law here to drive with at least daytime driving lights.If your vehicile is older you have to turn your lights on.
They make little light testers that can plug right into your socket that will tell if it's wired correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Trailer-Harness-IPA7866-Category/dp/B000K1CCBE

yeah I have another problem on the trailer lights that I have to fix and figured I would try to fix them all at once...

its the trailer though because it everything works fine with my other trailer.... its an 01 nissan frontier 4x4 truck though...

Most likely a bad ground.
On some wooden trailers(probably some metal ones to)they individually have to run a wire from each light to a ground.

Mine work the same way. Parking lights/headlights have to be on.

Zum said:
Most likely a bad ground.
On some wooden trailers(probably some metal ones to)they individually have to run a wire from each light to a ground.

Agreed.

95% of trailer lighting problems can be traced to a poor/bad ground. Running individual ground wires to each light is a foolproof way of making sure.

Latest posts