Trailer Bearing Replacement/Service Instructional Vid

Trailer related issues and discussion goes here.
Robster

Post by Robster »

The guy in the vid sprays the bearing with some sort of solvent.....solvent melts grease.... so be careful to dry off any solvent based cleaner before applying new grease.

motfua

Post by motfua »

lots of good info here,,, thanks guys

PSG-1

Post by PSG-1 »

bluegillfisher wrote:What do you do to your leaf springs? Mine aren't cracked or broken, is that all?

Having worked on hundreds of trailers, and seeing the typical failure points, my suggestion is that when you check your springs, you should also check the axle tube in the area of the springs and tie plates.

Metal-to-metal contact and corrosion does some awful things to axle tubes, an axle will typically fail right where the U-bolts connect the springs to the tie plates. And especially so if it's a factory-built axle, and they followed some design drawn up by a college-boy engineer, that calls for drilling a hole in the axle tube for the spring centering hole. NEVER DO THIS!! It causes a stress riser, as well as a perfect infiltration point for water, which leads to corrosion, and then failure. Weld a spring centering pad to the axle tube.
ALUMA-JET project:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=22023

Fishing, jet skiing, target shooting, jet-boating, and even a little oyster harvesting with Larry The Cable Guy.
Watch it all right here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/HKPSG1Shooter?feature=mhee

cva34

Post by cva34 »

Couple points Missed or I Missed 1 When checking bearing and race if there Blue they been hot and need to be changed..2 Do it in a reasonably clean area with no dust blowing /clean hands and tools when going back together...Cleanlyness is a must for long bearing life and keep you off roadside...3 Use Recomended Quality Grease /not something thats been sitting around without a lid/and or contanimated...cva34

jomcdani

Post by jomcdani »

Any tricks on putting new races in without a race driver?

lckstckn2smknbrls

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls »

jomcdani wrote:Any tricks on putting new races in without a race driver?
I have not tried this but if you cut a slot through the old race you can use it to drive the new race in and will pop right out.
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

Clifford_Akov

Post by Clifford_Akov »

You can rent a "race driver" very inexpensively at Auto Zone, they sell them too. Makes changing the races much easier. jmho
"Yola Mia", 1994 Alumacraft V-14, 25 Honda 4-stroke outboard

jomcdani

Post by jomcdani »

Thanks, I've read about using the old race and large sockets. I forgot that Autozone lets you rent parts. I will probably do that.

Thanks again,

jomcdani

Post by jomcdani »

After the new race was flush with the hub, I used the old race to get it seated. Then to get it closer, I put the old bearing in the old race (now in the hub as well) and hammered it in with a ball peen hammer. Then flipped the hub over and tapped the old race out.

Thanks for the replies.

driz

Post by driz »

FWIW I have a few trailers and lots of toys to do bearings on. I always used the punch and big hammer for oh so many years. Then one day I had to do something that I just couldn't get around with a socket. Since I was desperate I went and got a set at Autozone under that tool loan program of theirs. Buy it and take it back after for a refund. I used those that one time and said these babies are mine. Best $40 or so I have spent in a long time. I'm not one for buying exotic tools unless I have to but when you own trailers it's just so nice to grab what you need and knock it out. That goes double for those seals that are a tad oversize and issues like that.
"I'm only here for the beer and yes fishing sure beats working" 1985 Tracker V17 Tournament 50 Merc =D>

Scott85

Post by Scott85 »

It's a lot easier to do it with one. I got a set from harbor freight for 20 bucks.

perchjerker

Post by perchjerker »

brass drift and a little patience. Just tap it gently and walk it in

I was a mechanic for 20+ years, its easy for me

but I do have and recommend a race installer for novices.
my build 1976 14ft Meyers V hull

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40127

WaterWaif

Post by WaterWaif »

When I did lots of changes in a service department ,I ground an old race down to a slightly smaller diameter than stock size for common ones. A wood block on top of it.. and whack away.
Used a hammer handle/hardwood dowel driven with a hammer to knock them out with.
88 Misty River 12 ft with 87 4 h.p. Johnson (saddle tank).
97( 50th Anniversary edition) Sea Nymph FM 146 side console with 25 h.p. twin Evinrude.
93 Radisson 14 ft. Square stern canoe.

driz

Post by driz »

perchjerker wrote:
brass drift and a little patience. Just tap it gently and walk it in

I was a mechanic for 20+ years, its easy for me

but I do have and recommend a race installer for novices.

[-X [-X So true , it's the best $20 you will ever spend. Most times you don't really need one but with old castings , especially ones that have caught a couple hits on the edge with that 2 lb hammer here and there they make things go so easily. Same goes for a cheap seal puller. Now you really don't need one of those at all for trailer bearings but once again if its hanging on your wall you will appreciate it and it will last a lifetime. Best part is you won't be getting all pissed off digging for some tool that will help you get by.
How about a bearing packer? I truly hate swimming in grease and even with all the right weapons on hand still get slathered in the crap. At least with a bearing packer you get it over with in 30 seconds rather than pushing that goo around with your palm. A packer won't do it any better but at least you are done fast and mine goes back in it's plastic bag coated in greasy slime. All these tools are the sort that the HF models will work just as well as the grossly overpriced (but sexy) snap ons.
"I'm only here for the beer and yes fishing sure beats working" 1985 Tracker V17 Tournament 50 Merc =D>

Tinny Fleet

Post by Tinny Fleet »

I spray my springs with CorrosionX. Works on your garage door spring too!

The one issue is that the oil attracts dirt. To me though, its worth the tradeoff. Besides I power spray the springs from time to time as well to keep the crud at bay. After a dip in salt water, though, I use warm soapy water at mild pressure to get the salt out of the crevices, before going in with any kind of high pressure wash.
Tinny Fleet