Battery Chargers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new topic (no, it's not about a Zune, lol). Wondering how many of you have onboard battery chargers on your rigs, or how many charge their batts from a portable charger? I currently have a 2-bank 8amp Guest Charger which works pretty good for charging the 2 batteries on my rig.

I have a GUEST 2 bank 10amp per side charger. It stays plugged in 24/7/365 unless the boat is in the water. My bilge fuse fell out 1 day while it was raining and the charger was completely submerged...no problems. I will stick with Guest from now on unless I have issues.

i have a dual pro 4 bank 10 amp charger it works great and also stays plugged in ear round

Wayne

i have a two bank minn kota and i'm going to try the leaving it plugged in all winter, Ive tried this for a couple months and it seems fine, i usually take the batteries in but got a case of the lazies so if this works all well, just checked the acid level couple weeks ago and are good to go

I use this one...got it at Walmart for less than $20 and it works great!

Charger.gif

It charges at 1.5amps then switches to a float mode when its charged. I leave it plugged in all the time.

Guest 2 bank 5 amp per bank. Plug it in after each use until late evening and if all green lites, unplug otherwise it charges overnite and unplug in the am.

I use a Stay n Charge system. charges battery off your tow vehicles system, takes about 15 mintues.
costs about $49... easy to install, pays for it's self fast

Cabelas Pro sport II 20amp with the Cabelas AGM's. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will have no problems. They have had awsome reviews. Let's just hope they live up to there name. Usually anything cabela's puts there name on ends up being pretty good.

Jim said:
ANDREW J. said:
I use a Stay n Charge system. charges battery off your tow vehicles system, takes about 15 mintues.
costs about $49... easy to install, pays for it's self fast

I have heard great things about that system! :D

I never have to take the battery out of the boat, it charges to the pond and back , with our high electric rates it pays for it's self in a few months..

15 minutes? How far run down is the battery to be able to be recharged in 15 minutes? I might have to look into this more because I was told any drive less than 30 minutes and it wouldn't be worth my while.

Is there an actual "deep cycle'" charger for marine batteries or will my SEARS brand charger work? It has a 2 amp/10amp or start setting. Any help would be appreciated.

The Sears charger will charge your batteries, however, the marine chargers are designed to basically work in three stages, with the last "stage" of the charging slowly "topping-off" the batteries at a slower rate to what they call "conditioning" I believe. You'll get a better/more complete charge from the marine-type chargers.

okay. I think for now I am getting the portable charger .....I don't have the funds for a 4 bank on board charger. Any name brand portables you recommend? I noticed the minn kota has a 2 bank portable charger for $100. Comments?

Latest posts