Awesome Accessory Battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatlander

Reaction score
As I read through the board I notice that the question has been brought up to buy or not to buy another deep cycle to run my accessories? This is just my 2 cents worth, I found a rechargeable 12V through Cabela's that I run all my accessories off of. I bought the 2 battery (1 for a spare) and charger pack and it runs my depth finder, nav. lights, spot light, and courtesy lights. I mean these little dudes pack a wallup for their size, their only I think 6"x3"x4". I keep both of them in my "console" I built for my tiny little boat. I have yet to drain one completely down in a days expedition, but if I do I have the second one in there to switch over. I was just curious to know if there is anyone else on the board who uses these and what has been their experience?

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,818
I Have Been Thinking Along This Same Line For This Upcoming Season; You Have Me Sold On The Idea!

Bought An Underwater Camera This Winter, And This Same Style Battery Is What It Came With.

I Am Getting Some BlueWater LED's Soon From Mike To Install For Night Fishing; They Will Run For Several Nights Before A Recharge Is Needed On One Of These.

I have been running my Finder off a lawn tractor battery for a couple of years. I usually run it all summer without having to recharge.

I use one on my pontoon. I went this route so I could use my fishfinder for Ice Fishing as well. made it portable. Running just the fishfinder it will last for days.

has anybody tried one of these batteries on a color fishfinder? I don't know about y'all, but my color units can drain some juice

How fast would a radio drain one of these? Id much rather save the weight and go this route, and just one deep cycle.

If I divied the electtronics up equally?

I have nav lights, bluewater LED's, radio, fish finder, trolling motor, and possibly a live well pump

I never thought about using one of those for that purpose! I have one that I bought as a back-up for my AquaVu, but I'm never out on the ice long enough for the main battery to go dead. You could buy the two pack of these, wire them parralelle and they would last a LONG time.

Can these batteries lay on their side? I can mount 1 or 2 of these under my console and save myself some wiring. I use one of these batteries in my kayak to run a lowrance fish/gps. Lasts all day with very little drain. Fish finder has a voltage indicator on it. Can't remember the mod# of the lowrance. It is not color.

can these batteries be connected to a 2 bank charger? I have read the charger that comes with them will over charge them.

russ010 said:
has anybody tried one of these batteries on a color fishfinder? I don't know about y'all, but my color units can drain some juice
Should say how much power that unit draws in the manual or even on line.
By the sounds of what he has running on one,should do the trick.

I found a site that explains amp hours. Cabela's battery is rated at 8.0 amp hours. A hummingbird 500 series draws 400 milliamps, so with my crude and maybe wrong math:

8 amp hours = 8000 milliamps (1 amp hour = 1000 milliamp)

battery runtime = 8000 / 400 = 20 hours

that battery should last 20 hours for a non color hummingbird 500 series FF/GPS. I only checked the 500 series as I don't think I need anything more expensive for my needs.

These batteries should handle a FF/GPS, LED nav/anchor lights and probably LED interior lights for a nights worth of fishing!

Not bad, plus they are light and cheap!

Anyone have experience with a Hummingbird 581i combo?

Thanks

Tony

I picked up two batteries and a charger for $20 at Cabela's two weeks ago. They had a stack of them in the bargain cave at the Owatonna store.

My son has been running his electronics for about 5 years on Cabela's battery with no problems. I'm buying 2 to put in the console that I'm building. Will keep the wiring much cleaner.

I'm using 2 out of a UPS that we had at our base... they have been running LED lights for my boat for the last 2 months. I just put them on the charger this past weekend, and they were at 65% which is not bad considering how many times I've been fishing and how long the LEDs are on for.

And you can lay them on their sides... but I wouldn't hook them up to an onboard charger - I put mine on my battery charger in 2amp - and it only takes about 30min for them to be fully charged (that was from 65% to 100%)

Latest posts