Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Trolling motors, Fish Finders, GPS, Batteries, anything Electrical, post it here.
Post Reply
User avatar
trevormlb
Posts: 36
Joined: 03 Sep 2009, 20:01
10
Location: Melbourne Beach, Fl

Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Post by trevormlb »

My battery fluid was low so I filled it up with distilled water and put it on the charger. When I looked at it the next day it had not charged up and was warm to the touch. Can I fix it or am I just going to start a fire?
Get off your computer and go catch something!

KMixson
Posts: 2141
Joined: 25 Apr 2008, 16:54
11
Location: North Charleston S.C.

Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Post by KMixson »

Time for a new battery. If it will not charge it is gone.

User avatar
cyberflexx
Posts: 691
Joined: 22 May 2008, 11:26
11
Location: Huntington, WV

Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Post by cyberflexx »

Get ya an Everstart from Walmart, the big Yellow one.. I have never had any problem with these...I have 2 running 24 volt and a smaller crank battery in my Ranger 519, and one sits in my aluminum boat, as well as a small tractor battery for the electric start on the outboard.
Alumacraft Build
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8876

Carolina Skiff J14 Mods
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=27593

My fishing Rigs:
2009 Yukon Denali XL
2004 Ranger 519VX Comanche Ranger Cup
2004 Mercury EFI 200HP
2009 Tohatsu 9.8hp / electric start/ shortshaft
1999 Carolina Skiff J-14

User avatar
dyeguy1212
Posts: 2651
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 21:52
10
Location: Top of the Food Chain
Contact:

Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Gotta disagree... I had nothing but problems with Walmart batteries. Kept up on the fluids, and still had two die on me and refuse to take a charge... even with a newfangled microprocessor charger.


And now I hear they won't replace them if they fail, so I'd be looking else where. The price isn't all that good to give up a warranty.

User avatar
cyberflexx
Posts: 691
Joined: 22 May 2008, 11:26
11
Location: Huntington, WV

Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Post by cyberflexx »

dyeguy1212 wrote:Gotta disagree... I had nothing but problems with Walmart batteries. Kept up on the fluids, and still had two die on me and refuse to take a charge... even with a newfangled microprocessor charger.


And now I hear they won't replace them if they fail, so I'd be looking else where. The price isn't all that good to give up a warranty.

Interesting...I'll keep that in mind.. I might just splurge and go Optima in the Ranger when the time comes..
Alumacraft Build
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8876

Carolina Skiff J14 Mods
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=27593

My fishing Rigs:
2009 Yukon Denali XL
2004 Ranger 519VX Comanche Ranger Cup
2004 Mercury EFI 200HP
2009 Tohatsu 9.8hp / electric start/ shortshaft
1999 Carolina Skiff J-14

User avatar
trevormlb
Posts: 36
Joined: 03 Sep 2009, 20:01
10
Location: Melbourne Beach, Fl

Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Post by trevormlb »

The battery is an Ever Start. I haven't had it that long so going to take it back
Get off your computer and go catch something!

User avatar
Loggerhead Mike
Posts: 2918
Joined: 29 Aug 2008, 09:29
11
Location: franklin, nc

Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Post by Loggerhead Mike »

sounds like the cells have gone bad (after time they will no longer bond attoms)

id highly recomend a dry mat sealed marine battery.

also make sure you 2a trickle charge it
Last edited by Loggerhead Mike on 23 Apr 2010, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
Hanr3
Posts: 1690
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 20:22
11
Location: Central Illinois

Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Post by Hanr3 »

What kind of charger do you have?
Some chargers wont stop charging once the battery is completely charged, they continue to charge and will in fact ruin the battery. The battery starts to lose its charge and gets warm, it will continue to lose charge until you remove the charger. At this point more than likely your battery is toast and you have fried at least one of the cells.

I highly recommend you research your particular battery charger. Find the model number and google it. I toasted a couple lawn mower batties and one truck battery before I discovered the error of my ways. I spent the money on a new Schumacher Ship/Shore charger. It will charge small batteries, medium, and large batteries. Will switch from charge mode to trickle whent eh battery reaches 100%. I bought mine on sale for $30. I think regular price is $60. Well wortht eh money compared to three new batteries. I have been using it for over a year now, I charge 4 batteries on a regular basis (deeps cycle, 2 mower, and a truck battery), no problems since I bought it.
HOI Crappie Club
Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.


'97 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select
'67 14' Alumacraft
'57 Model FD11 18-hp Johnson Seahorse
'09 Traverse FWD V6 w/ towing package, power sun and moon roof, and ton of other options. The only one I wanted was the towing package. :mrgreen:

User avatar
dyeguy1212
Posts: 2651
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 21:52
10
Location: Top of the Food Chain
Contact:

Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Hanr3 wrote:What kind of charger do you have?
Some chargers wont stop charging once the battery is completely charged, they continue to charge and will in fact ruin the battery. The battery starts to lose its charge and gets warm, it will continue to lose charge until you remove the charger. At this point more than likely your battery is toast and you have fried at least one of the cells.

I highly recommend you research your particular battery charger. Find the model number and google it. I toasted a couple lawn mower batties and one truck battery before I discovered the error of my ways. I spent the money on a new Schumacher Ship/Shore charger. It will charge small batteries, medium, and large batteries. Will switch from charge mode to trickle whent eh battery reaches 100%. I bought mine on sale for $30. I think regular price is $60. Well wortht eh money compared to three new batteries. I have been using it for over a year now, I charge 4 batteries on a regular basis (deeps cycle, 2 mower, and a truck battery), no problems since I bought it.
Man I keep hearing success stories about these, but mine has never switched to trickle charge on its own.. drives me nuts. Shoulda returned it when I had the chance... :roll:

longjohn119
Posts: 109
Joined: 23 Mar 2010, 13:10
10

Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Post by longjohn119 »

trevormlb wrote:My battery fluid was low so I filled it up with distilled water and put it on the charger. When I looked at it the next day it had not charged up and was warm to the touch. Can I fix it or am I just going to start a fire?
Once the water level gets below the top of the plates they short and won't take a charge.

If you are losing that much water then you are overcharging the battery and causing it to boil over. I don't care what brand of wet cell you buy, an overcharge and boil over will kill it once the plates are exposed. The gel cell batteries like the Optima's don't have this problem as much which is why they have a good rep (And an high cost)

Walmart doesn't make batteries, they buy them from a manufacturer who makes them for several brands including Interstate. 90% of all wet cell batteries are made by one of five companies. Same for your alkaline batteries, most of them are made by one of three companies. The 'Brand Name Game' is simply a way of separating Suckers from their money. (Thomson Consumer buying the RCA and GE names in the '90's and putting them on junk electronics is a good example of this, Nike is another) My last series 27 Deep Cycle from Walmart lasted me 6 hard seasons for 60 bucks. 10 bucks a year is pretty hard to beat and it didn't go dead, it was just down to about 70-75% capacity and it just wasn't enough for the electronics package (Computer, fishfinder, stereo system, lights, etc.) I was running. I use a good 3 state charger and the only time I ever had to add water was after using a cheap 10 amp charger to charge it faster than the 1 1/2 amp 3 state charger I normally used. I got another for 62 bucks after trading in the old battery

rangerbull
Posts: 18
Joined: 22 Apr 2010, 21:03
9
Location: Shelbyville, Indiana

Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Post by rangerbull »

best way to check if you have a bad cell is to buy a hydrometer. they are cheap and easy to use. in 30 years of tournament fishing i always checked the specfic gravity and kept check on the cells. they may even show they are charged but run down quickly. bad deal to have happen after spending a bunch of money for the tournament then break down. u should be able to get one at any auto store.
Shut up and fish ya big baby!

User avatar
jigster60
Posts: 551
Joined: 03 Nov 2008, 14:56
11
Location: sacramento ky

Battery won't charge and was warm while charging

Post by jigster60 »

I have had a Schumacher Ship/Shore charger for 4 yrs now and it is sweet.... its fast and when it goes to trickle lil green light just blinks at me .....I leave it hooked up all the time been on charge for 3 days now....I check my cells once a month.... Had these batterys for 2 yrs now and I'm thinkin maybe I have had too add water twice....So the lil blinky trickle thingy must be a werkin :D ,,,,,,I am very happy with it.....................JIGGY

Post Reply