Found a Humminbird 798ci SI for $699

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharrison

Reaction score
Thinking about picking one up but not sure where to put it on my boat

So what do you guys do when you only have one decent finder?
Put it up front and use the TM to scan the water for structure or put it in the back and use the gas motor to find it then be in the dark up front while fishing?

If you mount the SI xducer on the TM you will get a distorted picture whenever you move the TM when controling the boat, such as changing directions, etc. If you're hovering over structure or a brushpile, etc., I'm not sure what type of picture you'll get. It's possible and have read of people doing what you're thinking, and they seem happy with the results. Pretty sure the HB SI ducer mounts similar to a 2d xducer, so give it a try and see if you like the results. You can always move it to the transom if you don't like the results.

I have a Low HDS8 and I mounted both xducers on the transom but I have a FF on the TM as well.

Yeah i've read about the noise when putting it on the TM so I was already planning on putting the transducer on the transom. I was more talking about where to put the actual FF unit.
I will probably put it on a RAM mount. I use them with my atv and motorcycle, And have a bunch of mounts I can use already.

Mount the HU where you can just turn it around and see it from front or back.

I use the gas motor at times and then the TM at times depending on the situation whether I'm fishing and looking/scanning or just looking for the fish. I have the Ipilot so I can use the TM and still sit at the console and use the SI/DS on my boat.

I ended up using RAM mounts and put a ball on the front and one at the rear. Then I routed the cables so I can put it at either spot. Turned out pretty good. Now I have to get it on the water to try it out.

I have my DI mounted on the TM and not real happy with the results, I am thinking about either getting the extension cable and mount it on the transom or make a mount for the front that won't turn with the TM.

Great buy on the HB 798 BTW

Yeah I was looking at the 798ci HD SI and was about to buy one then happened to be at Dicks Sporting Goods and saw they had this one for $699. I don't need the ethernet option so I decided to pick it up. I have various RAM mounts I use with my atv and motorcycle but they are 1". It seems pretty stable but once I actually get it on the water i'll see if I need to upgrade to the 1.5" stuff.

Hoping to try it out tomorrow.