798c SI or 898C SI as console companion for 898c DI at bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

get the 798 or the 898 for the console?

• 1. Get the 798, the 898 doesn't give you enough to justify the extra cost.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Get the 898, the functionality and display are so superior, it's worth the price difference.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveInGA

Reaction score
For those who have both a Humminbird 798c SI HD and/or 898c SI at the console and are using an 898c SI at the bow, does the size difference and functionality of the 898 justify it's extra cost? I'm looking at around $700.00-$850.00 for the 798 and $1200.00-$1400.00 for the 898.

Can't really help you with the comparison since I only have the 898c SI, but the reason I went with the 898 was the 7" screen size...bigger is better IMHO, especially for the SI and DI views.

If you lean toward the 898 you might want to wait until the new model with LED backlighting comes out in December, should make it more readable in direct sunlight.

RivRunR said:
Can't really help you with the comparison since I only have the 898c SI, but the reason I went with the 898 was the 7" screen size...bigger is better IMHO, especially for the SI and DI views.

If you lean toward the 898 you might want to wait until the new model with LED backlighting comes out in December, should make it more readable in direct sunlight.

Would you be kind enough to share where you have your 898? Bow or console?

My 898 is on the console, mounted on a RAM Swing Arm mount which allows me to pivot just the HB itself it so that it easily faces toward the bow. I used to have it mounted on a regular 2-ball type RAM, but didn't like it because both balls would loosen when I really only needed it to swivel 180, and I was constantly fighting it to get it back to where I wanted it.

I have a small 141c on the bow that uses my MinnKota's US2, but I only really use it for depth / temp, not for locating structure.

Here's the RAM Swing Arm

If you haven't already stumbled across these, you can find a lot of good info at the Humminbird Side Imaging Forum and the Unofficial Humminbird Forum

RivRunR,

I picked up a Ram mount just like the one you posted a link to. I really like that style, because it allows you to use the gimbal mount of the fish finder for up and down and the post of the ram mount for side to side. This eliminates those aggravating balls that tend to slip.

Now i just need to figure out some kind of transducer protector/shield.

Dave

RivRunR said:
Where are you mounting it, on the transom?

I'm looking real hard at putting this one, a DI unit, on the trolling motor. as I'll be drop shotting directly between the boat and want to watch my bait.

DaveInGA said:
RivRunR said:

I'm looking real hard at putting this one, a DI unit, on the trolling motor. as I'll be drop shotting directly between the boat and want to watch my bait.

hmmm, don't know anything about mounting one there...just seems like your "picture" would get hosed up every time your TM changed directions. On the other hand, maybe you've found a cheap way to have that new "360" imaging they just came out with ! :LOL2:

I'm following the mounting advice of a fella nicknamed Lanier Jim over on the GON forum. He's an excellent fisherman who's mastered using the drop shot method of catching Spotted Bass on Lake Lanier. He uses the same Humminbird 858C DI on his boat, but he doesn't use a protective device.

That said, he has been a semi-pro for a long time, gives lessons to pros on Lake Lanier and is now sponsored by Humminbird and he's getting the 1100 series of the down image fish finder for his boat soon, so he he doesn't have to worry about damaging a transducer.

Me, being a poor peon, do have to worry about damaging it. :(

RivRunR said:
DaveInGA said:
RivRunR said:

hmmm, don't know anything about mounting one there...just seems like your "picture" would get hosed up every time your TM changed directions. On the other hand, maybe you've found a cheap way to have that new "360" imaging they just came out with ! :LOL2:

I have my HB 596 DI mounted on the TM and can't say that I am real happy with it mounted that way. For 2D it seems fine but it messes up the DI when I turn.

I am thinking about making a mount out of a C-clamp or a spring clamp to make mount that I can remove but will only turn with the boat. I have also seen mounts for the TM that are mounted higher with a bend pole that doesn't turn with the TM head.

I'm thinking on the TM mounting now. I've decided to go ahead and mount on the TM, but if I get enough interference that distracts from the fishing, I'm going to create a "swing down" nose mount arm to place the transducer in the water directly in front of the boat. The TM, due to getting it mounted in a reasonable location, is mounted just off to the port side and back a bit from the front of the boat. If I can figure this one out, I'll probably go that route and I'm pretty sure I can.

Dave

RivRunR said:
Just out of curiosity, why aren't you mounting it on the transom ?

It's a down scan unit and I'm going to be using a technique called "drop shotting" from the bow. This allows me to see the bait and fish as I'm working the artificial to the fish.

I was running my 798 from my bow on my TM, but moved it back to the console because of electronic noise. Never was able to use the SI effectively. I am running a DI unit at the TM now and without any issues. NEXT step is to move up to a bigger screen. Maybe next year....and yes, bigger is better IMHO....but I'm moving to a 900 series if possible.

RivRunR said:
ahhhhhh, gotcha!

Maybe something like this Transducer Bracket would work if you find the TM mount doesn't.

Thank you for the link, I could either make the pontoon version work with little effort or at the cheap end, duplicate it with stuff I already have on hand. Either way, having the pics makes designing something a lot easier. :)

fender66 said:
I was running my 798 from my bow on my TM, but moved it back to the console because of electronic noise. Never was able to use the SI effectively. I am running a DI unit at the TM now and without any issues. NEXT step is to move up to a bigger screen. Maybe next year....and yes, bigger is better IMHO....but I'm moving to a 900 series if possible.

Which DI unit are you running? I agree with you about the bigger is better, but the 800 series is about the maxium size I can justify from an expense standpoint on this boat. The screen is big enough for me to see, though it won't be "luxurious." At my age, I'd like luxurious, but I can only afford a mixed drink, not champagne on my budget. 8)

DaveInGA said:
fender66 said:

Which DI unit are you running? I agree with you about the bigger is better, but the 800 series is about the maxium size I can justify from an expense standpoint on this boat. The screen is big enough for me to see, though it won't be "luxurious." At my age, I'd like luxurious, but I can only afford a mixed drink, not champagne on my budget. 8)

I'm running a 798CI HD SI at the console and a 597CI HD DI at the bow. I did have them reversed and just recently put them this way due to not being able to use my SI at the TM.

Totally understand the budget thing. I'm living with it too. I only shared my plans/dream for next year....it's not reality yet. #-o

DaveInGA said:
Thank you for the link, I could either make the pontoon version work with little effort or at the cheap end, duplicate it with stuff I already have on hand. Either way, having the pics makes designing something a lot easier. :)
Maybe something like the crude drawing below, where you could raise it up when motoring down the lake, then drop it back down to use it, locking it in place with some sort of locking ring like on a TM (green thing) to adjust the height? Seems like I've seen somebody here post up something like that before.
DucerMount.jpg

Latest posts