which fishfinder/gps to get

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotem

Reaction score
I'm debating if I should upgrade from my $100 Eagle fish finder next year. My questions includes is does down imaging and side imaging that much of a difference when locating fish over what was out several years ago? Does this make any difference over 200 feet of water salmon fishing as oppossed to bass fishing? Should I switch to Hummingbird or Garmin? If I have $500 to $700 to spend, what unit should I get?

If I was buying one today in the price range you have set it would be the Humminbird 859ci HD GPS/Sonar Combo . I've never owned a Garmin or Lowrance so I really can not give a good real life opinion on them.

https://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-409120-1-859ci-Sonar-Fishfinder/dp/B00F5EARZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417959839&sr=8-1&keywords=Humminbird+859ci+HD+GPS%2FSonar+Combo

I have been keeping my eye on lowrance elite 5 HDI gps/sonar. About $400 price. Wish I knew someone who had one though so I could get opinions and I might go someplace and play with one. Would like to see how complete the cartography software is done on the base unit, meaning not spending extra on mapping software. Need to replace my $100 garmin unit.

Tim

Gotem said:
I'm debating if I should upgrade from my $100 Eagle fish finder next year. My questions includes is does down imaging and side imaging that much of a difference when locating fish over what was out several years ago? Does this make any difference over 200 feet of water salmon fishing as oppossed to bass fishing? Should I switch to Hummingbird or Garmin? If I have $500 to $700 to spend, what unit should I get?

if you are using a 100$ eagle then the SI and DI will make a huge difference, no matter what your fishing for. and like the other poster ive never owned anything but humminbirds, I do know their customer service is second to none and their units are very easy to navigate the menu or user friendly... get a 7 or 8 series and you will not be disappointed..

After having side imaging for around 3 or 4 years, I would never run a boat without it. You're going to be limited with your budget, but the new Humminbird Helix series might be an option worth checking out.

I suggest you go to BPS/Cabelas or any other store that has a good selection of FF's so you can actually see 'em, punch some buttons, change the view on the screens, compare the different brands & models to see which one you prefer. Ask the clerks some ?'s as well. Fish with some one who has a model(s) you like or interested if all possible. The larger the screen the better when considering down scan or side scan, you need the largest screen you cannot afford :shock: for the detail these functions can provide.

The HB 859 has lots of good comments as do most HB's. A buddy has a HB 899 si I think, seems like a good unit but he uses the 2d for the most part. He also has a Low Elite 5 with down scan & gps, but does not use it much. I've played with both of these and the pictures are good so it depends on the screen size you're looking for and how you plan on using the FF.

I can say the base mapping on HB or Low is good for getting you to the area you want to fish, marking waypoints for structure, etc., but do not show the detail you are probably looking for. If you want the map to show the greatest amount of detail, you will need to get one of the aftermarket cards for your area. Navionics may have more detail for your area while Lakemaster stinks, or vice versa. Check with you local buddies or google those products and find out if others are happy/satisfied with their choice. I like the Lowrance/Insight mapping, it has sufficient detail for my style of fishing while others do not and want more detail, so they purchased map cards for their lakes.

Latest posts