Speaker Install in aluminum seating

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogsnavy25

Reaction score
Just bought a new Alumacraft 1648 and want to install marine radios in the front and middle seats facing the back of the boat. Has anyone else done this sort of install and how did you cut into the aluminum (what tools etc.).

maddogsnavy25 said:
Just bought a new Alumacraft 1648 and want to install marine radios in the front and middle seats facing the back of the boat. Has anyone else done this sort of install and how did you cut into the aluminum (what tools etc.).

Good morning!
I'm a bit confused on your question. I think others might be as well.
Your title is speakers. Your text is radios.
What are you trying to do? #-o

Keith
Tyler, Texas

Haha yeah sorry, tired forum posting, I want to put two marine speakers in each seat, the aluminum stock seats, just wondering what people have used to cut the holes i.e jigsaw, grinder etc.

I installed mine in the "faceplate" of my bow deck facing the stern. I used an angle grinder to cut the holes in my .125" aluminum plate. If I had it to do over again, I'd put them in the rear bench seat facing the bow. When up on the bow fishing the radio is at a good listening level is a bit load for the person fishing from the rear bench.

Not sure what you're installing, but I have this setup on my 1648.

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMRKT2A-2-Channel-Waterproof-Amplified/dp/B003GSLDUO/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426864722&sr=1-6&keywords=pyle+marine+amp

With this 2 channel if I crank the volume all the way up, it is SUPER load. I originally wanted a 4 channel, but glad I went with the 2.

IMAG0960_zps26415cda.jpg

IMAG0966_zps888fdc79.jpg

IMG_20140309_174646_zpsr8dgslu6.jpg

I bought a hole saw from home depot. Could have used a jigsaw, but wanted a perfect circle. This is the only picture i have to show my speakers.

Attachments

• 100_0560.JPG
    100_0560.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,651
Hole saw is a good choice;

Mark your center for the speaker placement, then drill away. The centering drill bit will make it simple, just don't force it and bog it down. "Let the tool do the work" (...a lesson from my father - master of ALL trades...)

Shoot us a few pics while you're gettin' 'er dun!

maddogsnavy25 said:
Ok all good advice guys, I would like to go with the hole saw too I have just never used them

There ya go! I knew you would get some help and answers. Just had to specify what you were trying to do.

Great advice from all and cools pics. =D>
Post pics of yours when you get it done.

Have a good weekend! :)

Keith
Tyler, Texas

shane.b.stanley said:
I just installed two sony speakers into my 14' Klamath this past week. The speakers i have required a 5" hole. I used a Milwaukee hole saw and it worked out great!

How expensive was that Milwaukee? It just fits in a drill, right? Seems to me to be the wise decision. A perfectly round hole, with very little effort. I'm going to pass all this great info onto some river rats down here. It was the topic of discussion just yesterday. Thanks for sharing. :)

maddogsnavy25 said:
Haha yeah sorry, tired forum posting, I want to put two marine speakers in each seat, the aluminum stock seats, just wondering what people have used to cut the holes i.e jigsaw, grinder etc.

Thanks for posting your question. Seems the great advice from all will be used by several. :)

Be sure to post and share your pics when completed. Seeing competed jobs makes it all worth while!

Glad you joined, and welcome aboard. I hope you find this site as interesting and helpful as I. Everyone on here is eager to help and are always nice and friendly. Please share your knowledge with others as well. We all appreciate it.

Respectfully,
Keith
Tyler, Texas

TexasLoneStar56 said:
shane.b.stanley said:
I just installed two sony speakers into my 14' Klamath this past week. The speakers i have required a 5" hole. I used a Milwaukee hole saw and it worked out great!

How expensive was that Milwaukee? It just fits in a drill, right? Seems to me to be the wise decision. A perfectly round hole, with very little effort. I'm going to pass all this great info onto some river rats down here. It was the topic of discussion just yesterday. Thanks for sharing. :)
The actually arbor or whatever the main piece is called was about 15 dollars, and the actual hole saw ran was about 30 dollars. Quite expensive but it turned out great! I am sure you can shop around and find a different brand for a lot cheaper!

shane.b.stanley said:
TexasLoneStar56 said:
shane.b.stanley said:

The actually arbor or whatever the main piece is called was about 15 dollars, and the actual hole saw ran was about 30 dollars. Quite expensive but it turned out great! I am sure you can shop around and find a different brand for a lot cheaper!

Not too high, though. Sometimes, ya just gotta bite the bullet and get the right tool for the job. Thank you for the info. 8)
Keith
Tyler, Texas

Riverdog said:
I bought a hole saw from home depot. Could have used a jigsaw, but wanted a perfect circle. This is the only picture i have to show my speakers.

Riverdog,

Did you build a speaker box in the inside, and if so, did you carpet the inside of the box? I passed all this info along to some river rats yesterday. One is a musician, so he is really enthused about how to mount speakers in his flat bottom. He says the sound has to be enclosed with round corners to get the music vibrations to sound right. Otherwise, your speakers will sound "tinny", no pun intended. Make sense to me. I know speaker boxes do not have hard square corners...guess that's why. :idea:

Thanks for sharing your pics. 8)
Keith
Tyler, TX

That was an extension storage area custom built by West boat shop. It's not enclosed or carpeted inside and no rounded corners. It does sound OK though.
Your river rat friends are right if you want to spend the time and money to do all that. I use to be into all that, so I can understand the appeal.
I used to use foam camping pads instead of carpet to deaden vibration. Used 3-m adhesive and glued it inside my truck doors. Probably would work on aluminum boats too. You can get it at Wal-Mart. They also make stuff like dynomat that is specifically made for deadening vibration. Good luck ever removing it though.

Attachments

• 374053.jpg
    374053.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 816
  • x15410415.jpg
    x15410415.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 816
  • Capture 1.PNG
    Capture 1.PNG
    383.6 KB · Views: 816
Got the radio in yesterday and the cutout diameter is 5.13" so I think it's gonna have to be a jigsaw for me

maddogsnavy25 said:
Got the radio in yesterday and the cutout diameter is 5.13" so I think it's gonna have to be a jigsaw for me

This is why i am surprised so many used a hole saw. I'm sure they make 5" hole saws, but are probably expensive? I used an angle grinder to cut all the aluminum for my build. Worked really well. Everything from cutting my floor out of sheet to cutting the holes for my speaker install. I tried a jigsaw for about 2 minutes, but it was a real pain in my experience.

Latest posts