24v trolling motor low on power

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
I have a 19' bass boat with a Motor Guide 80lb thrust 24v trolling motor on the bow. It has a 4 prong plug in on the front deck and the wires run to the back of the boat where there are 2 batteries. There are 4 positive and 4 negative wires. 2 positive and 2 negative wires are for the onboard charger so that means that 2 positive and 2 negative wires are for the trolling motor. I have one set that is tied together attached to one battery and the other set attached to the other battery. The trolling motor seems to be low on power though and I am afraid that I did not re attach the wires properly in the spring.

There are many easy to eliminate scenarios you may be able to check before you start rewiring.

Are your batteries the type you need to add water too? Check the levels....

Are you charging to full capacity? Charge them up fully again and get a reading on your battery sets voltage and each individual battery.

Are the wires getting hot when you turn on the TM? (could be a connection hanging by just a few strands causing resistance)

Is there some fishing line stuck behind the prop that could be causing strain and excessive amp draw?

These things can be checked quickly. It is easier than rewiring..........May save you from having to do it.

Since it is a 24 volt motor are your batteries wired in series? you should have a positive from one battery to the negative of the next - then the positive to the TM from the open battery and the negative from the other open battery - there should only be ONE wire conecting the batteries - if the batteries are not wired in this fashion then you are just give your 24 v TM 12 V

Did a load test on the batteries and one of them was weak. Replacing this week and hopefully all of my problems will be solved!

Latest posts