LED Polarity

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamabill

Reaction score
I bought a sea choice led stern light. Which would be positive, the black lead or the gray lead? Or does it matter?

It does matter b/c it is LED - black should be negative (but if you get it wrong it will not hurt the light - just switch it) test it 1st before you do you permanent install

bamabill said:
well, it works the same either way
I'm guessing, like you found out, that some of the newer ones have a circuity built into them to allow either connection scheme.

But I do know that on earlier ones, or say just the bulb itself, had to be hooked up right or you'd fry the device. I didn't want to steer you wrong ...

Yeah.

They're bipolar - just like my ex.

Never use them - they're trouble from day one.

ETA -

Nevermind. There must be too many bipolar relationships here for the above to be humorous.

Dale, that was my guess too. I talked to my stepson who's an EE. He said checking with a meter in diode mode, one direction should give .7V and OL the other direction. But that would be just for the LED alone I presume because I got crazy numbers both directions. I'm just checking the leads coming out of the mounting socket that the pole lite goes into. So I was trying to get a reading thru all that circuitry.

Latest posts