Electrical interference

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vader809

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am putting a deck on the bow of my boat, there will be a trolling motor, battery charge ,and sonar.My? is should I separate these cables to prevent interference? I know the FF cable is shielded but for some reason I have my doubts about bundling these all together just to look neat. I have no place to hide the wiring on my boat.

That's what I am thinking, Thanks. My brain is trying hard to shut down ](*,) I have a MK330d.to mount along with aTerrova80. $$$$ are flying out of my wallet faster than NASCAR.

There shouldn't be any issue with running the cables together. The shielding in the FF cables will keep any interference from the other cables from distorting the image.

Some ppl get interference, some don't. The only real way to know is to give it a test run before you do the final install. Johnson Outdoors (Minn Kota) sent me a ferrite choke (for free) when I called them about interference.

Word of warning, don't test it too long with the TM out of the water, you might overheat it.

Try to keep the FF power wire on one side of the boat and the TD wire on the other if all possible. Use some of the plastic wire wrap on both wires to minimize interference if possible, sometimes just moving the wires around under the flooring will reduce some interference, so one never knows until you do the install.

Not knowing your boat or lay out I am going to share something i did once on a 16 ft starcraft I rebuilt.
I ran pvc pipe ( hidden the best I could ) and ran my wires through them keeping them seperate. I also used some of that foam pipe insulating tubes or what ever it is called. Time for bed here.........lol
The foam acted as an insulater.

Just an idea that might work for ya.
FCJ

Latest posts