Breaker for trolling motor and electric start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 30# trolling motor and my electric start for my 9.9 Johnson on the same battery. Will 1 50 amp breaker be OK for both or do I need two separate?

Considering you would most likely not be using both at the same time, I don't see why not. I know that wasn't very scientific. :LOL2:

Nope...perhaps the 50 amp ( if that is what your manufacturer calls for...not too big nor too small) will be fine for the trolling motor.

But, your 9.9 outboard clearly doesn't need that big of a breaker. What do you think will happen if your wiring to your 9.9 shorts out? It is SMALL gauge wire. That wire will fry like an egg and set something on fire....Why??? Because the wayyyy tooooo biiggg breaker wouldn't break. It wouldn't even know that the wire was hot.

Match the fuse to the wire and the device for which it is intended to be used.

Just my opinion. I do not consider myself an expert in electricity or much else.

richg99

richg99 said:
Nope...perhaps the 50 amp ( if that is what your manufacturer calls for...not too big nor too small) will be fine for the trolling motor.

But, your 9.9 outboard clearly doesn't need that big of a breaker. What do you think will happen if your wiring to your 9.9 shorts out? It is SMALL gauge wire. That wire will fry like an egg and set something on fire....Why??? Because the wayyyy tooooo biiggg breaker wouldn't break. It wouldn't even know that the wire was hot.

Match the fuse to the wire and the device for which it is intended to be used.

Just my opinion. I do not consider myself an expert in electricity or much else.

richg99

Thanks Rich, I value your opinion/advice... As of right now I really have no idea what the amp draw is on the electric start....I know I am running 4ga wire since I extended it 10ft to the front of the boat, 8ga on the trolling motor, 30#, 50a breaker is fine there. I'll figure that out and let you guys know what I do.

My boat is not handy or I could be more specific. It is a 50 hp 2 cycle.

As far as I remember ( and my boat was wired by a professional) I don't recall any breaker on the starter side???? The big cables that go to the starter motor go directly to the cowling access port. If there is a breaker in there someplace, I've never seen it.

Of course, the switch connection wiring just drives a relay, and those wires are very small. If those are the wires that you are referring to, then my earlier statement stands.

richg99

Latest posts