Avoid battery core charge at Wal-mart

Trolling motors, Fish Finders, GPS, Batteries, anything Electrical, post it here.
.Mike

Post by .Mike »

I just wanted to let you guys know that I accidentally stumbled upon a way to purchase batteries from Wal-mart without paying a core charge, or turning in an old battery.

While shopping for a battery, I decided to go with one from either Wal-mart, or Sams, mainly so I could exchange it easily if I have a problem. When shopping online at Sam's, if I put a battery in my cart and go to check out, a $12 core fee is added. When doing the same at Wal-mart, no such core fee is added.

I placed an order for an Everstart group 29 this morning while out in the marsh catching bait for the weekend. When I picked it up on the way home, there was no added core charge. $86.83 + $6.08 tax = $92.91 out the door.

If you need new batteries and don't have cores to trade in, this might be a good way to save a few bucks. I get that core fees exist to encourage recycling, but they are just another tax if you have nothing to recycle.

Now I have a shiny new group 29 deep cycle battery to replace the EP-50 car battery that came with my boat (it is almost new, so I am keeping it). Not only that, but when I checked last night, they had 5 in stock. When I ordered this morning, they had 7. I got one of the ones that came in overnight, with a manufacturing sticker showing 10/17. Fresh!

-CN-

Post by -CN- »

So what you're saying is buy the battery online and pick it up in the store?

.Mike

Post by .Mike »

Yep. No core charge was added when I checked out online. No mention of it when I picked it up.

PATRIOT

Post by PATRIOT »

. . . and then take your core to O'Reilly Auto Parts and receive a $10 gift card
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

turbotodd

Post by turbotodd »

Here is some food for thought....

Our supplier of marine batteries PAYS US for our core batteries, thus we encourage folks to bring in a core, whether or not they’re buying a battery, for that reason-as the more we get the more we get paid, and the less a new battery costs the end user.

Wonder if that also applies to walmart’s?

Scrap metal yards buy them too.....

evidrine84

Post by evidrine84 »

Just did the same at my local Walmart. No core charge. Great advice.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk

GeauxJoe

Post by GeauxJoe »

I too just bought a new battery at Walmart for a new motor I bought that is electric start. When the cashier told me about the core charge, I simply mentioned that it wasn't right to be charged for a core if one did not exist. New battery for a new motor.....he took off the charge. Cool!! A helpful Walmart associate! My lucky day!!

Y_J

Post by Y_J »

Dang, I just got a new Everstart Group 29 at Walmart. I had no core and they charged me a $30 Core charge (I'm in Georgia). Wish I had seen these posts before last week.
My Fisher-Marine 1648 Build Thread https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopi ... 96#p434296

My Sears 1236 Build Thread: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=34781

Happy Boating & Fishing,
YJ

---
1979 Fisher-Marine 1648
Minn Kota 35 lb thrust Bow Mount TM
Mercury 20 HP OB
1974 Ted Williams 4.5 HP OB

.Mike

Post by .Mike »

Y_J wrote:Dang, I just got a new Everstart Group 29 at Walmart. I had no core and they charged me a $30 Core charge (I'm in Georgia). Wish I had seen these posts before last week.
Core charge is $12. I confirmed this with my neighbor, who works at Walmart here in Savannah, and at Sam's Club before that. If you were charged more than $12, head back to the store and show them their flyer: https://i.walmart.com/i/rb/33756-98567_C ... l-info.pdf

Y_J

Post by Y_J »

Got it, Mike. TY so much.. Headed into Walmart today.. Coolness.
I may just pick up another battery while there (paying online first ;) )
My Fisher-Marine 1648 Build Thread https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopi ... 96#p434296

My Sears 1236 Build Thread: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=34781

Happy Boating & Fishing,
YJ

---
1979 Fisher-Marine 1648
Minn Kota 35 lb thrust Bow Mount TM
Mercury 20 HP OB
1974 Ted Williams 4.5 HP OB