Livewell Pump Switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richz

Reaction score
I have a Lowe 170W. The livewell switch is two position. One position to fill and the other position is supposed to run the pump for a predetermined time cycling on and off automatically. This does not work. I identified the switches as Carling and on there web site the switch is DPDT. There has to be some kind of timer for the pump to cycle on and off. Does anyone know where the timer might be?

When you say it does not work, do you mean it stays on, or off?

If it's on full time it may be like the livewell switches I have had in the past that work as they are uniquely connected to the pump(s).

Fill/off/recirculate, or Fill/off/manual, fill/off/Aerate, or just fill/off with a separate aerate switch.

I've seen switch panels with a separate timer (which you may have hidden somewhere) , but you generally can't miss those... I do not know of a pump with an internal timer.

livewell_timer.jpg

You could try tracing the +lead that is NOT the full ‘on’ lead and perhaps it goes to a separate timer mounted ‘before’ the pump ... that you haven’t located yet. Now if the pump is indeed wired to a timer, there should be 3 leads (2 Pos & 1 Neg (black)) going into the pump. Typically a brown wire would be the constant or full ‘on’ lead and a brown w/ white striped wire would be the one on an alternate cycle (like from a float switch, if on a bilge pump w/ 2 operational modes - manual or automatic).

That switch the other posted costs $74. Here’s a simpler Rig-Rite 500 costing $30-something that has this cycle info:

Description
The Rig Rite 500 Automatic Livewell Timer automatically turns the livewell pump on and off. The Cycle position turns the pump on for 30 seconds every 3 minutes to keep bait or fish alive without draining the battery. Requires a 3/8" mounting hole for dashes up to 1" thick.

Features & details
-Automatically turns livewell pump on and off
-Cycle position turns pump on for 30 seconds every 3 minutes
-Keeps bait or fish alive without draining battery down
-Easily replaces your on-off switch
-3/8" mounting hole for dashes up to 1" thick

Attachments

• BA071775-FAB4-4AEF-A40D-7F2C56A76100.jpeg
    BA071775-FAB4-4AEF-A40D-7F2C56A76100.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 717
Thanks for the info, I just have to get under the dash and start tracing wires.

Found a Rig Rite 500 timer switch for $31, but like w/ anything, shipping sure adds to the cost!

The RUN position keeps the pump ‘on’, whereas the CYCLE position runs it for 30-seconds every 3-minutes.

https://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?product=136510&group=136612