hand held vhf

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handyandy

Reaction score
Need to get a vhf leaning towards hand held so I can take with me in the yak or boat anyone using a hand held? What are your recommendations?

Using it on a yak, I'd get something submersible / waterproof and if possible one that floats.

When I bought mine, features I looked for like a rechargeable battery with a charge station are cool, and if it came with a spare battery pack or an empty AA battery pack to have handy use as a spare were a plus. A scabbard / holster that you can secure to your pfd or rucksack is also very useful. Oh one that can scan VHF all of your saved channels is a cool feature.

Mine is a Made in Korea (before the mad rush to China) West Marine VHF100 and is pretty old and the NiMh battery still holds a charge. Even though I do not go offshore with it any more, I always have it with me on my tinny in fresh water for NOAA broadcasts which doubles in this purpose at home before, during, and after hurricanes left in its charger.

I know nobody else carries a marine VHF or has a home station as far from salt water as I use mine, so as an emergency radio VHF are likely useless.

Here's mine as I keep it in my "sea bag"

vhf.jpg

I have had the best luck with Standard-Horizon handheld units. Buy it from BOE Marine and tell them you are a member of ‘Classic Parker’ and you may get another 10% off.

Tell Jim Maier that Dale Hubbard sent you to his site.

thanks for the tip on the discount I'll check out the site, been meaning to get one for sometime. Never have really needed one, but should have one. Around home it would be useful when on the ohio river for barge traffic when it's o dark 30.

Latest posts