mk or mg?

Trolling motors, Fish Finders, GPS, Batteries, anything Electrical, post it here.
hipster dufus

mk or mg?

Post by hipster dufus »

so, fed up with my edge 55# mk. gonna go w a 70# variable speed foot control. quetion is which one? last 3 motors were mk. all 3 were edge models. brother swears by mg. mg a little bit cheaper. any and all opinions on either are welcome. leaning towards a maxxum or an x3. thanks

jethro
Donor

mk or mg?

Post by jethro »

I've had good luck with my Minn Kota motors and I've had a bunch. That said, I'm getting ready to buy a new 36v motor in the next year or so and I am hearing rumblings of Lowrance coming out with something, so I'm waiting to see what that might be. I think between MK and MG it's almost a toss up, with MK getting the edge simply due to the dealer network and repair shops.
I fish, therefore, I am.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

Butthead

mk or mg?

Post by Butthead »

Ford vs Chevy. I’m an MK guy, buddy uses MG. I like Humminbird units, he’s Lowrance. I don’t see a huge usable difference between products except I like the durability of the composite shaft, put them to the test a few times, and I’ve never needed a special prop nut to lessen vibrations and quiet my prop down, haha. Either way Kipawa props are better than the factory ones.

overboard

mk or mg?

Post by overboard »

If there is an authorized factory repair facility near you, that could be a factor in choosing one over the other, other than that you would probably be happy with either brand.