Panther 55 tilt and trim unit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with these? I have one that came with the purchase of an outboard. It works but the previous owner said that the switch shorted out in the up position a few times when left in the rain and it ran continuously until it killed the battery. Obviously can't be good for it but like I said it does still work but is slow and sounds off. I read on the manufacturers website to grease the actuator with no more than 4 pumps of grease at a time but haven't tried that yet. That's about all they say. I'd say if it still works the motor is fine but I don't see an actuator sold by itself - they are all a motor/actuator combo and are $300. I don't have to get it perfect but would like to improve it as I'd like to be able to offer it for sale or trade.

I think one of the motors I service every once in a blue moon has one of these units on it, and if it is the 55, it runs really, really slowly and sounds like it's struggling. With that being said, I can't say for sure whether or not I've ever worked on or used one of these particular units, but in my experience, many of the aftermarket tilts are very slow and don't sound great when working. If you contact Panther, they might offer the motor separately, or another option would be to take it to a starter rebuilder and they should be able to rebuild the motor for you if that's the issue. Maybe you post a video of it working?

I did find out the motor is sold by itself for about $100. The breather tube for the actuator has also been cut and positioned in a way that would allow water intrusion. I’m going to pull the motor and see how it runs without a load and clean it up a little. If it seems good then I will add grease to the actuator and see how that changes performance. Here is a video of it running as is. The split second stops are me letting off the buttons by accident and not an error in the trim unit.

https://imgur.com/a/dK8363q

I watched the video and am not sure I would want it to move much faster than what is shown. It really is impossible for me to say with any degree of accuracy, but the PTT on my previous 25 HP Merc didn't see to move much faster than that. On my current 50 HP, the PTT moves really slow in the "trim" range then faster when in the "tilt" range. I think it tilts faster than what is shown in your video, but can't say it is appreciably faster. Also, Matt seems to confirm these units might run slower. So, maybe your are good! All conjecture on my part of course.

Yeah the bottom 1/2 range, which would be the realistic range of motion you would need, is good. It just has a dead spot near the top of that range and then goes slower. I’ve never owned one like this so they are new to me. I did a lot of work on my 70hps hydraulic trim but this one is a little different lol. I’ll still check the motor and give it a few shots of grease and see if it at least quietens down some.

I put just 6-7 pumps of grease into the actuator zerk and it is doing a lot better. I bet it had never been greased before and probably had some water intrusion from the breather tube not be properly protected from the elements. It will definitely be fine as is but I'm hoping a little cleaning of the motor and some good ole regular usage will have it good as new.

While on the topic of this Tnt unit:
I like to run different motors as I like tinkering with them. I would also like to add the trim switch into the tiller handle of my primary outboard. I have found out that an Etec tiller grip and switch can be bought for $50 and easily adapted to my Yamaha. So rather than installing the Panther relay in the cowling I would like to install an aftermarket relay and fuse in there that I can jump power to from the power leads to the starter solenoid and install some sort of quick disconnect on the two wires that go to the Panther motor. Would allow a clean install to go along with a clean and functional trim switch in the tiller handle but then allow the outboard to be removed and replaced easily. I'd probably leave the Panther relay as the previous owner had it - installed in a weatherproof 4x4x4" junction box and installed on the inside of the transom with the Panther trim switch and wire rolled up and zip tied and able to used when another motor is put on after simply cutting the zip tie and plugging in the quick connect. Thoughts or suggestions on relays? I looked for a factory option but no version of my 30 ever had factory trim so there is no part. I'm sure a 40hp one would work but not sure if the block or lower cowling has a place made for it to attach or not.

Your plan sounds good. Have you ever seen a Hot Trim switch? It may or may not work for you, but I find it really convenient to be able to tilt your motor with your toe. They also offer a stand alone switch, which is what that slow unit I talked about earlier uses.

Matt193 said:
Your plan sounds good. Have you ever seen a Hot Trim switch? It may or may not work for you, but I find it really convenient to be able to tilt your motor with your toe. They also offer a stand alone switch, which is what that slow unit I talked about earlier uses.

I wasn't familiar with those. Thanks for the suggestion. I could probably mount one of those on the side of the boat where my feet point while turned using the tiller.

I mounted the trim unit to my boat this weekend and put on my longshaft Yamaha 30 to water test. With just the weight of the motor on it out of the water the unit really struggled to lift it. I had it connected to my proven good TM battery, fully charged, with clean connections. I took it to water test (mainly for the motor as it still is way too low in the water being a longshaft on short transom) and it would not trim up under anything more than forward idle throttle. However, being that it is a linear actuator vs hydraulic it doesnt have leak down problems so I could trim it to whatever position and then do whatever and it stay in position.

I have yet to pull the motor and inspect it so I will do that first and see if I can clean it up. I have a feeling it is an actuator problem though caused by water intrusion so before I fork over any money to buy one I may tear it down and see if there is anything that can be done even though the manufacturer claims they are non-repairable. The only reason I say may, is because if it does somewhat work, I may be able to sell it cheap to someone who has a totally dead unit and just needs one for the tilt function and not to trim under way.

Pulled motor off last night. There were no signs of water intrusion, brushes were clean and springy, armature seemed pretty clean too. There was some hardened stuff in two places on the windings but maybe that is supposed to be there. Aside from that and some 'brake dust' type residue it looked fine. It also ran fine in both directions while off...smooth and quiet, just got hot kinda quick. I'm pretty sure now that the actuator has some issues. I don't see a clean way to break it down though. I'm tempted to just buy a new one and then try to fix this one to keep as a backup or to experiment with on some homemade tilt and trim unit down the road. Kind of a tough decision... I mainly just don't want to mess the actuator up further by trying to fix it.

Latest posts