Remote trim switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratosjoe

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Lowe 1648 with a 25 etec 2017. It has tilt and trim switch on throttle at console. I fish year round in central Illnois by myself most of the time. My concern is getting back in the boat should I fall overboard. So want to make switch on rear like on bigger motors, can mount to boat or motor any thoughts.

I'm assuming you're talking about a kill switch with a lanyard attached to your wrist or life jacket. You fall out - the lanyard disconnects from the switch - the motor shuts down?

If so, how do you turn off the motor now? Just add a kill switch that performs the same function as the switch that turns off the motor now. I used one like this for a mud motor I built several years ago: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Atv-Dirt-Bike-Handle-Bar-Mount-Tether-Lanyard-Engine-Kill-Switch/192890659165?epid=28002731586&hash=item2ce92de15d:g:09QAAOSwk1hctOKR:sc:USPSFirstClass!08302!US!-1

If your existing kill switch works by closing a circuit, wire the new kill switch in parallel with the existing switch. If your existing kill switch works by opening a circuit, wire the new kill switch in series with the existing switch.

If we are talking about a kill switch, to me the ultimate would be one of those remote ones. But unless I find myself with a couple hundred bucks I don't have another need for, I don't think I'm going to be getting one anytime soon.

If talking about a trim switch, I know Academy has one that people often buy to replace the switches on the CMC and Panther units. You would just splice it into your existing relays and a 12V power supply and then mount somewhere near the outboard. That switch is a surface mount one utilizing zip ties or 3M adhesive. If you wanted a recessed factory one I would imagine you would have to order a factory one from another motor and then find a place on the lower bowl that you can make a cutout and pop it in.

That's a easy install if you get the switch from Academy get the TH Marine switch. I placed mine on the right rear of my old 45 Mercury Classic 50. There are only 3 wires on the unit. I believe they are Purple-Blue-Green it's been a couple of years since install and have sold the boat....The T-H Marine Tilt/Trim Switch blue and green wires is what controls up (blue) and down(green). The purple wire will need to be attached the relay harness.

Latest posts