Minn Kota Ulterra or Terrova? Something else?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I'm upgrading my trolling motor this season and I can't decide between the Ulterra and the Terrova. I am worried the Ulterra with it's auto stow/deploy is not as durable but I really like the idea of it and if I am spending all this money anyway, might as well get it. Only if it's standing the test of time.

I'd really like to see if Lowrance or Garmin add any other motors to their lineups. Right now they seem to only cater to the bass fishermen with deck mount motors. I am in a big deep "V" hull and I am a coldwater, trolling fisherman, so a deck mount is not what I need. Right now I have an older Powerdrive that is underpowered and I really need I-Pilot and spot lock.

LDUBS said:
Sorry I can't help, but I am following.

I would love to add iPilot. That is my ultimate enhancement, but not in the budget for now.

Yeah, I'm dying to have autopilot for trolling. I'm sure you know how it is keeping that boat straight in a bit of a breeze when you are trying to set lines on the riggers or catching a fish.. I can either find myself a new wife/girlfriend that likes to troll and fish with me or I can buy the i-pilot. I have a feeling the minn kota will be a cheaper option.

jethro said:
LDUBS said:
Sorry I can't help, but I am following.

I would love to add iPilot. That is my ultimate enhancement, but not in the budget for now.

Yeah, I'm dying to have autopilot for trolling. I'm sure you know how it is keeping that boat straight in a bit of a breeze when you are trying to set lines on the riggers or catching a fish.. I can either find myself a new wife/girlfriend that likes to troll and fish with me or I can buy the i-pilot. I have a feeling the minn kota will be a cheaper option.

Haha, good choice!

You know there is a breeze about 95% of the time. I frequently watch the guys that have it and the difference is huge. I hope you will report back after you have used it for awhile.

Well, deed is partly done, good chunk of my Christmas bonus is spent. I ordered a 112v, 60" shaft, Riptide Ulterra with i-pilot, bluetooth and link. Need a few more batteries, an on board charger and will start shopping for a new Humminbird finder to work with the link system. Most likely a Helix 12. Really looking forward to having auto pilot while trolling this year! I will give a full report, maybe an install write-up.

I was leaning towards the Ulterra but I have decided on the Garmin Force. I’m going with the 93sv EchoMAP UHD. Let us know how you like the new Minn Kota.

Fishfried said:
I was leaning towards the Ulterra but I have decided on the Garmin Force. I’m going with the 93sv EchoMAP UHD. Let us know how you like the new Minn Kota.

I desperately wanted to go with Garmin electronics but Garmin has completely dropped the ball for us that don't own bass boats. I have been waiting for them to release a motor for a deep V boat but I can't wait any more, so Minn Kota it is. Really, really dumb on Garmins' part to only make a deck mount motor.

jethro said:
Fishfried said:

I desperately wanted to go with Garmin electronics but Garmin has completely dropped the ball for us that don't own bass boats. I have been waiting for them to release a motor for a deep V boat but I can't wait any more, so Minn Kota it is. Really, really dumb on Garmins' part to only make a deck mount motor.

I don’t know what you mean by “deck mount motor” All foot control motors mount on the front deck.

Scott F said:
I don’t know what you mean by “deck mount motor” All foot control motors mount on the front deck.

Bass boats or flat deck boats use a completely different design than what a deep V boat uses. A bass boat uses a deck mount, or a big mount that lays flat on the deck. An aluminum deep V, such as my coldwater trolling boat uses a much smaller mount designed for a small deck. Both the new offereings from Garmin and Lowrance are fairly specific to bass boat or flat deck boats. The deck mounts also are designed to retrieve by standing over them and pulling a rope to retract them. I would need a 6' step ladder on the deck of my boat to do that. My boat is one of the deepest V hulls an aluminum boat can be.

Here is an example of a motor that mounts to a deep v:
motorguide_wireless_trolling_motor_mounted_2-1.jpg

As opposed to a deck mount:
TROLLING-MOTOR-EAST-CAPE-SKIFFS-BOAT-IMAGE-GALLERY-CUSTOM-BOAT-BUILDER-FISHING-SKIFF-MANUFACTURER-fed9435f74-780x780.jpg

Please do an install thread. I have a Terrova ordered for my sea nymph GLS which looks to be the same as your Sylvan depth wise. Very deep boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eview326 said:
Please do an install thread. I have a Terrova ordered for my sea nymph GLS which looks to be the same as your Sylvan depth wise. Very deep boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do, if it ever comes in! Been waiting for a while.

BigTerp said:
jethro said:
Will do, if it ever comes in! Been waiting for a while.

Still waiting from the end of January? Were'd you order from? My buddy ordered an Ulterra on Friday and it came it yesterday. He ordered from Amazon though.

Was is a 36volt Riptide? I ordered from my local dealer. Might have to just use the evil empire because it looks like they are in stock.

I was curious to see who else had autopilot features like iPilot. I also have a mod-V mounting need. Motorguide talks about GPS and "pinpoint" but for the life of me, I can't find any description on their website (which alone makes me kind of leery).

BTW, do you know the size of the mounting foot (or whatever you call it) for your Ulterra?

LDUBS said:
I was curious to see who else had autopilot features like iPilot. I also have a mod-V mounting need. Motorguide talks about GPS and "pinpoint" but for the life of me, I can't find any description on their website (which alone makes me kind of leery).

BTW, do you know the size of the mounting foot (or whatever you call it) for your Ulterra?

Pinpoint is the same thing as Spot lock, just different nomenclature. The trolling motor drops a waypoint and automatically runs to stay within a few feet of it. The newer motors have a "jog" feature that lets you move the waypoint 5ft in any direction, which is pretty handy.

You can also record a track (say along a specific contour line), and play it back. It will drive itself along the track, great for trolling.

Then there's autopilot, in which once you set a travel direction, the motor will automatically compensate for wind or current to maintain the same bearing.

My Terrova only needs about 18" or so of deck plate. It hangs over the gunnel quite a ways. I believe the Ulterra is pretty similar.

I think even cable steer motors will fit on any deck plate. Might have to angle them some, but as Jethro mentioned, they'd be hard to stow/deploy without having a high front deck.

LDUBS said:

All I know is it will fit the same quick release plate that I currently use with my old Minn Kota Powerdrive. That plate is like 18" like MrGiggles said. I should have mine in this week but might not do the install until next month. We are still ice fishing here.

Thanks for the info. I actually received a Terrova mounting plate diagram from Minn Kota. Says mounting surface required on boat deck is 8 9/16 x 13 15/16.

Anyway, iPilot has been on my wish list for quite a while. Now I might be closer to taking the plunge, but of course have some questions. I'll start another thread so as not to hijack this one.

I've acquired everything I think I need! Got the motor. Bought 3 new, group 31 Interstate deep cycles, a Minn Kota Precision digital 3 bank on board charger, the plugs and sockets and the wire and terminals I think I need. I may not buy the graph until next season, I'll just use autopilot and everything with the remote this year. It stings what I spent this weekend!! You can buy a boat for what this setup will cost!

When you get it up and running you will quickly realize what you get for what you spend.All of us who have them swallowed hard but in this case the juice is worth the squeeze!

Latest posts