Minn Kota Ulterra or Terrova? Something else?

Trolling motors, Fish Finders, GPS, Batteries, anything Electrical, post it here.
jethro
Donor

Post by jethro »

I'm upgrading my trolling motor this season and I can't decide between the Ulterra and the Terrova. I am worried the Ulterra with it's auto stow/deploy is not as durable but I really like the idea of it and if I am spending all this money anyway, might as well get it. Only if it's standing the test of time.

I'd really like to see if Lowrance or Garmin add any other motors to their lineups. Right now they seem to only cater to the bass fishermen with deck mount motors. I am in a big deep "V" hull and I am a coldwater, trolling fisherman, so a deck mount is not what I need. Right now I have an older Powerdrive that is underpowered and I really need I-Pilot and spot lock.
I fish, therefore, I am.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

LDUBS

Post by LDUBS »

Sorry I can't help, but I am following.

I would love to add iPilot. That is my ultimate enhancement, but not in the budget for now.
Have Rod - Will Fish

jethro
Donor

Post by jethro »

LDUBS wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 14:20

I would love to add iPilot. That is my ultimate enhancement, but not in the budget for now.
Yeah, I'm dying to have autopilot for trolling. I'm sure you know how it is keeping that boat straight in a bit of a breeze when you are trying to set lines on the riggers or catching a fish.. I can either find myself a new wife/girlfriend that likes to troll and fish with me or I can buy the i-pilot. I have a feeling the minn kota will be a cheaper option.
I fish, therefore, I am.

2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

LDUBS

Post by LDUBS »

jethro wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 14:57
LDUBS wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 14:20

Yeah, I'm dying to have autopilot for trolling. I'm sure you know how it is keeping that boat straight in a bit of a breeze when you are trying to set lines on the riggers or catching a fish.. I can either find myself a new wife/girlfriend that likes to troll and fish with me or I can buy the i-pilot. I have a feeling the minn kota will be a cheaper option.
Haha, good choice!

You know there is a breeze about 95% of the time. I frequently watch the guys that have it and the difference is huge. I hope you will report back after you have used it for awhile.
Have Rod - Will Fish

jethro
Donor

Post by jethro »

Well, deed is partly done, good chunk of my Christmas bonus is spent. I ordered a 112v, 60" shaft, Riptide Ulterra with i-pilot, bluetooth and link. Need a few more batteries, an on board charger and will start shopping for a new Humminbird finder to work with the link system. Most likely a Helix 12. Really looking forward to having auto pilot while trolling this year! I will give a full report, maybe an install write-up.
I fish, therefore, I am.

Fishfried

Post by Fishfried »

I was leaning towards the Ulterra but I have decided on the Garmin Force. I’m going with the 93sv EchoMAP UHD. Let us know how you like the new Minn Kota.

jethro
Donor

Post by jethro »

Fishfried wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 21:20
I was leaning towards the Ulterra but I have decided on the Garmin Force. I’m going with the 93sv EchoMAP UHD. Let us know how you like the new Minn Kota.
I desperately wanted to go with Garmin electronics but Garmin has completely dropped the ball for us that don't own bass boats. I have been waiting for them to release a motor for a deep V boat but I can't wait any more, so Minn Kota it is. Really, really dumb on Garmins' part to only make a deck mount motor.
I fish, therefore, I am.

Scott F

Post by Scott F »

jethro wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 14:31
Fishfried wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 21:20
I desperately wanted to go with Garmin electronics but Garmin has completely dropped the ball for us that don't own bass boats. I have been waiting for them to release a motor for a deep V boat but I can't wait any more, so Minn Kota it is. Really, really dumb on Garmins' part to only make a deck mount motor.
I don’t know what you mean by “deck mount motor” All foot control motors mount on the front deck.