Mounting light pods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krawfish

Reaction score
How would you go about mounting these light pods on the front of a jon? I can't seem to find a bracket that I could just screw into the gunwhales, otherwise I would. All of these light pods seem to come with threads coming out the bottom and a nut you would use to clamp it onto something with.
a6850e881bdeec1d01984ceedd464386.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Can you make brackets out of aluminum angle or square tube?
I could make a bracket, but I'm having trouble imagining the cleanest way to do it lol.

Krawfish said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Can you make brackets out of aluminum angle or square tube?
I could make a bracket, but I'm having trouble imagining the cleanest way to do it lol.

Can you post a few pictures?

These are the best I can get my hands on at the moment, but should give you an idea.
775bac5f2bf34eea7446fc1c27dff342.jpg
f0a3d2f2dbfcab89fa2fee9b4ba240fd.jpg

A little hard to tell from the pictures but it should be doable.

Bend a piece of stainless or aluminum flat stock to any shape you want and screw it to the casting deck or to the side of the boat near the gunnel. Or, get a piece of aluminum rectangular tubing and cut off a short length. You can get rectangular tubing in just about any size you can imagine. Big sizes are expensive but you might find a local fab shop that already has it in stock who will cut you a couple of 2" pieces.

light_mount.jpg

maintenanceguy said:
Bend a piece of stainless or aluminum flat stock to any shape you want and screw it to the casting deck or to the side of the boat near the gunnel. Or, get a piece of aluminum rectangular tubing and cut off a short length. You can get rectangular tubing in just about any size you can imagine. Big sizes are expensive but you might find a local fab shop that already has it in stock who will cut you a couple of 2" pieces.

light_mount.jpg
You save the day again lol. Thank you for the detailed drawing and explanation!

LDUBS said:
How about something like this. $30 each off the shelf is kinda pricy (to me) but maybe you can find them cheaper.

Those brackets are more expensive than the cheapo lights I was going to buy haha! They do offer an easy bolt on option however. The word "trunnion" has opened up alot of search options for brackets. Thanks!

Krawfish said:
LDUBS said:
How about something like this. $30 each off the shelf is kinda pricy (to me) but maybe you can find them cheaper.

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 8.15.46 PM.png
Those brackets are more expensive than the cheapo lights I was going to buy haha! They do offer an easy bolt on option however. The word "trunnion" has opened up alot of search options for brackets. Thanks!

Yeah, I think you could make one for a lot less. I like the "U" shaped one in MaintenanceGuy's sketch.

I used rivnuts in the appropriate thread/pitch to install both my led light bar and my HID lights to the bow of my boat.

Here is how I did mine. https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32811&hilit=driving+lights

Finally pulled the tarp off my boat today. Here's a picture of the lights on the front of mine.

I welded the T-shaped pedestal out of aluminum angle and made a V-shaped socket for it to slide into. It is stored in one of the storage lockers unless I need it. The cord plugs into a 12V power port I added near the front of the boat for the lights/ live well/ cell charger/ etc.

night_lights.jpg

I made a simple bracket and attached it to my navigation light pole. It's powered by a relay and a remote.

Attachments

• 20190711_164612 (1).jpg
    20190711_164612 (1).jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 311
  • 20190711_164700 (1).jpg
    20190711_164700 (1).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 311
Yesterday, I made a removable mini light bar out of some old scrap aluminum i had laying around as well as some old rod scotty parts I had. ill mount the scotty base to bow.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 302
jeff925 said:
Yesterday, I made a removable mini light bar out of some old scrap aluminum i had laying around as well as some old rod scotty parts I had. ill mount the scotty base to bow.

That is a great idea. =D>

Scotty makes those in a flush mount version too.

Ldub, you read my mind. I may put in a flush mount but I need to make sure i have enough height to clean the nav light. ill probably get it mounted today or tomorrow. ill post some pics.

Got the pods mounted on boat along with new LED bow light. the scotty post for the light bar came off a spare scotty drink holder I had laying around.

The bow light will be wired to switch panel and ill use a quick disconnect socket for the light pods.

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 126

Latest posts