Trailer plug

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
Sons truck f150 2010
I have almost all the working, brakes , blinkers but can't get the headlight(running lights)
4 prong outlet on his truck, power(12v) to the blinkers , brake ...the second prong down( brown wire,I think) I can't get 12v on it.
There was a short factory connection, about 2 foot long that I disconnected and tried the voltage there and had the same results. I thinking there must be a break in that brown wire further up the line? Unless there is some fuse I havnt checked.

It could be a bum 'factory' connection that the PO put on it. Remember some vehicles have separate turn signals than the running lights or daytime running lights (which can confuse things) ... and need a special converter to allow use with 4-wire trailer lights.

But yes, it is 12V power on the brown wire you are looking for.

He was rear ender this winter, just getting around to looking at it now.
I was hoping a broken wire or prong...the plug set up is factory...4 plug and the 7 .
I disconnected that short connection piece(back of plug to another connection)and had no power there either. I was hopeing i missed a fuse or even relay because that wire in a loom and full off undercoat and crap.
Thanks for the reply

Zum said:
He was rear ender this winter, just getting around to looking at it now.
I was hoping a broken wire or prong...the plug set up is factory...4 plug and the 7 .
I disconnected that short connection piece(back of plug to another connection)and had no power there either. I was hopeing i missed a fuse or even relay because that wire in a loom and full off undercoat and crap.
Thanks for the reply

A lot of newer trucks with the factory towing package have separate fuses for the trailer lighting. Make sure you check those.

I had a similar/identical problem with my 2010 f150 last week. There is a 20 amp fuse (yellow) that is for the trailer running lights. It is separate from the tail lights for the truck. The fuse box on my ford was under the hood in the front center. The fuse location was number 31. Check your manual if you have one.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

schukster said:
I had a similar/identical problem with my 2010 f150 last week. There is a 20 amp fuse (yellow) that is for the trailer running lights. It is separate from the tail lights for the truck. The fuse box on my ford was under the hood in the front center. The fuse location was number 31. Check your manual if you have one.

Thanks I'll check that out when he gets home...tried to check any fuse that said something about trailer but maybe I missed it...was concentrating on the 10amp ones

The circuit was called Trailer tow park lamp relay in my manual. Like you, the pin connected to the brown wires was dead. The fuse was blown and replacing it fixed my problem. The image shows where the fuse was located in my fusebox

ad77974f1c74134ed9bdfb5cc055f537.jpg

Ya, thought I'd check them but going to look again...I'll let you know
Other than that, going to have to trace that brown wire through all the oily undercoat

schukster said:
The circuit was called Trailer tow park lamp relay in my manual. Like you, the pin connected to the brown wires was dead. The fuse was blown and replacing it fixed my problem. The image shows where the fuse was located in my fusebox

ad77974f1c74134ed9bdfb5cc055f537.jpg
I'm a doorknob....pretty sure it was that #31 fuse.
The wires were frayed alittle by the trailer plug(from the rear ending),not the brown though. I liquid taped and regular taped them back up... must have made the fuse blow.Cant believe I missed a fuse, I was busy and just got back home and now he is gone so I never checked at the plug yet( if it fixed it)...but I bet it did.
Thanks

Latest posts