What gauge wire?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesTex1

Reaction score
I am getting ready to rewire my boat and know I should look at a chart to get answers but figured I would ask here first. Do I need 2 gauge wire for battery cables to run from batteries to perko, bus bars, fuse panel etc. or can I get away with something like 4 gauge. My boat is a simple center console aluminum 18’ Duracraft and all electric components will be located in close proximity to each other. Also, I will be installing a 55lb 12 volt Terrova with about a 10-12 ft run to the battery, I was planning on using 6 gauge for that but didn’t know if that was overkill as well, thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You really need to know the maximum amps of anything ON at the same time, plus the length of the run that is to the battery AND back.

Most Mfg’rs list the amp rating, plus anything listed as wattage is (Wattage / 12.6 [nominal DC voltage] = #Amps).

Tell me how far away & what you plan to run for electronics or lights and I/we can help, but otherwise you’d just be guessing. Best to do it RIGHT the 1st time ...

Somewhere else on here I posted a Minn Kota chart for the recommendation fuse of a trolling motor today based on the length.

Yeah it shows a recommended fuse of 60 amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts