Motorguide X5 or Minn Kota Maxxum?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coosa

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my Edge 12 volt to a 24 volt motor. I have a G3 with stick steering and the 12 volt motor does poorly in current. I already tried a Maxxum and found that the standard steering cable that they now use is not long enough for my boat. The foot control would not even touch the floor, so I carried it back to the local dealer, thinking I could find something that would work out of the box. It doesn't appear there is a motor made now that will work out of the box on this boat.

Here is the issue:

You can see that the Edge came with a 7' cable, but it was made in 2010. Minn kota told me that they only make 5' cables now, but I have found a place where I can buy longer ones for either Minn kota or Motorguide. Does anyone know if I can rob the cable off the Edge for a Maxxum? Has anyone ever changed a cable? It doesn't look like a hard job, but I've never done it.

When I carried the Maxxum back, I thought I was going to end up with an electric steering model, but they have their own problem for this boat. You can see the different deck levels, and it's 7' from the seat to the bow. The electric steering models have a little short mount, and most of them require you to push a button on the mount to stow the motor. That would mean getting on my knees and crawling every time I wanted to move, and that won't work. A model that stows itself looks like my only option in an electric steering model, and I don't really wanna drop $2500 on a trolling motor for a boat like this.

Looks like my only reasonable option is to get a Maxxum or X5 and change the cable. Which one would you guys recommend? Thanks for any ideas.

Seems like the entire fishing industry is focused on nothing but tournament bass fishing. Nobody seems to give us tin boat guys a thought.

They do make trolling motors that use remotes that would solve your problem. They are also expensive. I have an Motorguide Xi5 unit that came with a remote I can wear around my neck or use a remote foot control. The nice thing about them is they can be incorporated to work with some fish finders.

eeshaw said:
They do make trolling motors that use remotes that would solve your problem. They are also expensive. I have an Motorguide Xi5 unit that came with a remote I can wear around my neck or use a remote foot control. The nice thing about them is they can be incorporated to work with some fish finders.

Thanks for the reply; I've never actually seen an i5. Does it stow by pulling up on a rope like the cable steer models? The electric models I've seen on YouTube have a lever or button on the mount that you have to push in order to release it. You can see by the layout of my boat how difficult it would be to get to the front and do that.

With the Edge, I can launch and stow it while sitting down. I wouldn't mind having to stand up to release it, but I don't want to have to crawl to the front each time.

I have the Motorguide Xi5. It came with both a remote (which is what I use) as well as a wireless foot pedal that you could use from anywhere in the boat. I see your questions to a previous poster above. There is a little latch that you step on to unlock it to deploy. I don't see where that would be an issue in your setup, as long as you're ok with standing up to deploy it.

z33tec said:
I have the Motorguide Xi5. It came with both a remote (which is what I use) as well as a wireless foot pedal that you could use from anywhere in the boat. I see your questions to a previous poster above. There is a little latch that you step on to unlock it to deploy. I don't see where that would be an issue in your setup, as long as you're ok with standing up to deploy it.

Thanks for the info. That is probably the motor I would buy if I could use a rope to put it up and down. I should have said to start with that I'm an old man who has a lot of balance issues. The main advantage of a stick steering boat for me is that I can get in that front seat and I never have to leave it.

You can see that the boat has 4 different levels. The deck with my seat is a couple of inches higher than the main floor, and I never get any higher than that second level. The third level has a cooler in it. It would be safe enough to step up on it, but the 4th level at the front of the bow where the trolling motor mounts is not intended for passengers. A younger man might be ok with stepping up on it to release the motor, but in certain conditions it could be dangerous for anyone.

So that is a deal killer for me. I have wondered if I might find one with the same shaft size as the one I have and just use it in the Edge mount. You think that is a possibility? I don't understand why they put all the electric steering models in that type of mount. I guess they make entirely for those who fish standing up. If you are already standing up, I guess stepping on a release is the easiest way. But I still see a whole lot of people who fish sitting down; I guess they make a lot more money from the tournament guys.

I don't think you'd be able to swap the Edge mount onto the Xi5 shaft. The Xi5 has some eletronics built into the mount, like a GPS module and such. Sounds like the Xi5 probably won't work for your setup due to the deploy/stow operation unfortunately.

z33tec said:
I don't think you'd be able to swap the Edge mount onto the Xi5 shaft. The Xi5 has some eletronics built into the mount, like a GPS module and such. Sounds like the Xi5 probably won't work for your setup due to the deploy/stow operation unfortunately.

That's good info; thanks. Guess I am back to deciding which cable model.

There is a model of trolling motor that can automatically deploy and stow. Minn Kota makes it, it's the Ulterra model. That think can automatically deploy, stow and has trim also. I'm afraid to look at how much it costs so I'll leave that to you.

Latest posts