Extra ground wire on new rectifier

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
Just ordered a new rectifier for my 70hp Johnson two stroke as I suspect it may be going bad. Cheap and easy enough to replace but the new one came with an extra black wire, which I'm assuming should be grounded to the engine? Is there an easy ground location where all the wiring connects? Or should I extend the wire and run it somewhere accessible. 20200903_174051.jpg20200903_173715.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm having issues with my 70 hp 2stroke. What makes you think the rectifier is going bad? Mines doing a fire run the nothing then start no spark the fire up type deal

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Also what year is your motor

450clown said:
I'm having issues with my 70 hp 2stroke. What makes you think the rectifier is going bad? Mines doing a fire run the nothing then start no spark the fire up type deal

Also what year is your motor

I'm having intermittent tach issues and my battery was showing low charge. The tach issues seem to point to faulty rectifier.

Ok thank you for the explanation. I'll probably post a question about it I appreciate your help....don't wanna jack your thread up lol.

Just put the ground wire under the screw to mount the rectifier to the block. That's a technique used on many components, including your coils.

Good luck!