Wappapello gar stickin'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno685

Reaction score
Hello all! Newly registered here at tinboats, but not completely new, been lurking on this site for quite sometime now. Anyhow, I have a trip to Wappapello Lake coming up and I was hoping to get some pointers on where to go to put a slaughter on some gar. I might be stuck to the bank though, as my boat might not be water ready by then. Thanks in advance for any info. I've been down there quite a few times, but this will be my first since the flood in 2011.

Hey Ryno.....

Welcome to TinBoats. Good to have you on board.

First....I too am a Jeffco boy. Where are you located? I'm in Fenton and there are other TinBoaters nearby.

Now....the Wapp stuff. I fish a couple tournaments a year there and can't tell you where the gar are, but I've always put in at Sundowner Ramp. There was a marina there, but it burned down early last year. Might be back up and running again, but haven't been there since late July last year. It is right around the corner from the dam.

Good luck to you.....especially if you're fishing from the bank.

Thanks Fender!

I live in the DeSoto area. I'm pretty familiar with Wapp, that's sucks about Sundowner's, I didn't know it burnt. We usually stay at Barrett's right across from the dam. If the boat isn't ready by then I'll probably just stick to the river below the dam. I know there are gar everywhere down there, I was hopin someone might know of spot they are a little more concentrated. We used to do pretty good around Cozart point, but that's been while. Might try around Chaonia or the state park, who knows? Just like being out there. Tried to upload a pic of a couple from a few years back, but says the file is invalid, sorry. Might try from the computer when I get home.

Nope sure haven't. Might have to try that sometime. I'd say 90% of the time, if I'm on the water, I've got my bow in my hand. 100% it is at least in the boat with me. :wink:

Here's a couple of gar at Cozart pointe. I believe this was in 2006 if memory serves me correctly.

Attachments

• gar2006.jpg
    gar2006.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 4,053
  • 2gar2006.jpg
    2gar2006.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4,053
Heading down first thing in the morning! Water's a little high, but hopefully I'll have some good luck and good pics to post!

Gar stickin, does that mean with a bow or a spear or what? Do you eat them? I think I caught one once but I can't remember where.
Tim

Latest posts