August fishing... with HAWGS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ010

Reaction score
So far, August has been pretty good considering the temps we've been having. Tiffany has been out of town a lot, so I've logged in a few more hours on the water.

These first pics are with merkywaters.. needless to say, this was at Lathem and he schooled me.. the bait he was using was putting them in the boat 2:1. This day we caught 17 fish, all weighing in a little over 18lbs. Our best 5 wen't about 8lbs.

DSCF1254.jpg

DSCF1255.jpg

A week or so later, Tyler and I made it out to Yahoola to prefish for yesterday's tournament. We fished 2 nights this past week, and the first night was on fire. My 4th cast brought in a fish at 4lbs..

DSCF1256.jpg

then tyler caught my fish's bait.

DSCF1257.jpg

We ended up catching a few more, then around 10:30pm, Tyler landed this nice 4lb pig. Blood is all over the side, and it's was all coming from 1 gill being hooked. The water temp here was around 87*, and I think the fish were even hotter. You could put your hand in these big boy's mouths and it was like they were breathing fire... unreal. Our best 5 went over 10lbs

DSCF1259.jpg

I also went out with MerkyWaters again to prefish for another tournament I was fishing with him for his club last night (yea that's right - 2 tournaments in one day: BANG tx - 6am-1pm, SWAT tx - 5pm-12am.. more on that later). So we were hurting for some good fish, and just trying everything. I hear Merk talking up front (as he usually does) saying something about "I wonder if they'll hit... anyways, next thing I know, I hear him say "you might wanna get the net" real calmly. I didn't even hear him set the hook. He finally gets it in, and Merky correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was a little over 3lbs. I was skunked for the first time this night in a long time..

DSCF1273.jpg

That last trip was Thursday night.. I decided not to fish Friday night because I thought I might wanna get some sleep. I haven't slept much since Tiffany has been gone - I've been fishing every night.. getting in bed around 2am and getting up at 6am to go to work. Well, I got in bed early Friday night (1am..) and the alarm clock goes off at 3:30am. Get up and head to Yahoola, arriving at 5am. We get all the boats in the water and we're off. Get to my spot at 6:15am. Start off with a Pop-r, and coudln't see a thing so I changed to something to make some noise. The only thing I had tied on was a crank bait, so I said ah what the hell.. I've got 15 min before the sun comes up so I'll just throw it. 1st cast brought in a 2.8lb'r. Wow I thought.. 4 casts later I get another one over 1lbs. I caught another one sometime between 6:30 and 830am. Something was wrong I was thinking - I was throwing everything I had been using previously, then it hit me. The bass where chasing shad, and I had shad in the floor of my boat and livewell. I put on one of the biggest medium divers I could find and went to a ditch channel lined with underwater trees. 1st cast, thought I had caught one of the tops of the trees... until it started running. I thought it was a good fish so I let it play out a little bit. About 3 minutes later, and me deciding to send my curado off to get the drag fixed, I managed to land a nice'un - 6lbs 11oz. Total for the tournament for me that day was 10.76lbs (I finally win a tx and have a bag over 10lbs) and this one weighed in at 6.53lbs. My scales in the boat had my total limit of 4 fish weighing 11lbs 8oz. Amazing what weight they lost from morning to afternoon. All fish caught today were released - and they were all like they were on crack (Ice, frozen ice packs and Please Release Me). You can see results at HERE.

DSCF1276.jpg

So I leave this tournament, drive an hour back home, unhook the boat, grab new gear for a new lake, grab a MDew and hit the road. Get to Merky's house about 45min later.. It's 4pm and we're on the way to Carters to fish from 5pm -12am. I'm having an off night - the crank bait bite has died for me, and I caught 2 about an hour into the tournament, but only 1 of those barely being a keeper (and merrick culled him later that night..). Unfortunately we didn't do as well, and we fished a lot of open water instead of beating the banks. Our 5 fish weighed in a little over 4lbs, and the winning sack had over 12lbs - and they had 2 nice kicker fish.

I ended up getting home around 3am, showered and jumped in bed at 3:30am. I woke up at 12pm (and I would have slept longer if Tyler hadn't woke me up with a phone call - which I don't even really remember talking to you). But my arms feel like they are about to fall off from cranking for nearly 12 hours straight. I could barely hold my reels in my left hand by the end of last night - and now my shoulders are stiff as a bored - is this what it's like when you get old?!? Sorry for the long post!

WoW... Great post =D> =D> =D> ...Now I know that there are at least 2 fishing addicts in this world :D ...Now son You need to get some sleep...JIGGY

Way to go man! As a buddy mine used to say... there will be plenty of time for sleeping when I'm dead.

poolie said:
Way to go man! As a buddy mine used to say... there will be plenty of time for sleeping when I'm dead.

I don't know how far from dead I am as for the way I'm feeling... all I'll say about these fish is if you catch them and they spit up shad, or you see them chasing shad, go out to the ledges and creek channels in the middle of the lake and throw out your best medium diving (9-12') crankbait you've got and hold on.. I lost 2 at the boat because of my rod. I was having to throw that crankbait on a heavy rod to get it to the depth I wanted it to be at, but there was almost ZERO bend in the tip. I lost a 3+ and a 2.5+ fish right at the boat. I should have tried to tire them about before bringing them up but they kept swimming right at me and I had no choice and I couldn't let off the handle to stop reeling long enough to grab the net. Live and Learn - but... I have since found a rod that will be replacing that monster

Way to go russ,nice fishing.
Are bass are feeding on baby kiacks also.
I hate my catch rate on cranks,have better luck with spinnerbaits and even buzzbaits.I still throw jerkbaits but in a tournament,would always have a spinnerbait...probably a confedence thing.

Zum said:
Way to go russ,nice fishing.
Are bass are feeding on baby kiacks also.
I hate my catch rate on cranks,have better luck with spinnerbaits and even buzzbaits.I still throw jerkbaits but in a tournament,would always have a spinnerbait...probably a confedence thing.

well, I went against my norm of never throwing spinnerbaits, but out in open water I really don't like them. I did happen to have 1, and I mean ONE spinnerbait in the boat. It's the only one I like, it's a 3/4 with a huge #8 colorado blade with another willow blade underneath. That sucker thumps like crazy - anyways, when the crankbait bite died, I would switch to soft plastics trying to work it on the bottom, then started swimming it - and swimming it at 4-5' (I was fishing in 12') they would hit it and I caught a few, but they were all dinks. Put on the spinnerbait and tried it at various depths and retrieves and nothing worked. Put the crankbait back on and instantly hooked up. That was my pattern the majority of the day. I honestly think I just happened to hit a good school of them when I got the big one because I lost the 3lb and 2lb in 10 casts after catching the big boy

Russ:
Thanks again for fishing it with me. Hopefully I did not talk your ear off. Yeah that spot weighed if I remember right one ounce over 3 lbs. That would have been nice to have had the night of the tourney! Oh well cant win them all ohhhh I forgot I did not win one this season #-o !! There is always next year.

What was the weight on that lathem fish i forgot? Sure does look smaller than what i remember!

Dude - You still have the classic to fish... that's the main one to win!

The fish you caught at lathem... i'm wanting to say it was 2lbs 6oz (but I honestly don't remember). And you're right about the one you caught at Carters, it was 3lbs 1 oz

Man I'll fish with ya anytime - if you get to talking too much I'll just hit my imaginary red button which shuts off my brain (I use it with Tiffany a lot)...

Latest posts