april 22 to 29 2010

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim357

Reaction score
The weather around here has been killin me, there at the end of march beginning of april we had a week of 80 degree temps, fish were making beds and getting ready for the spawn, well since then I dont think we've cracked 70 (maybe yesterday afternoon) and had a few nights drop into freezing temps. Finding the females has been one heck of a challenge, males are almost every were. So last week me and a buddy made a hike to get to spot that has a shallow cove, 4 or 5 shallow points, and one deep hole, maybe 17ft, been a while since I hit in a boat so I cant really remember how deep. I was fishing a jig, 3/16oz for a slow fall, I normally use zoom salty pro chunks for this, but I had an old pack of yum chunks id never tried, so I opted for one of them. I tried the deep hole a few casts while my buddy pulled in two 2ish lbers from the shallows. So I moved over closer to the shallows and wham, before my bait could reach the bottom, I set the hook, my drag slips, I quickly get my thumb to the spool to stop the drag, when I saw the fish I just knew he was gonna come unbuttoned due to my weak hook set. Lucky I was able to get him in and get a hand in his mouth before the hook came free.
IMG00262.jpg

Yesterday I hit a creek with a warm water discharge, I figured it would be holding a good number of fish with the cold nights we've been having.
I fished a jig long and hard, not a tap, I go to a power worm, agian nothing, I switched to a spinnerbait, and picked up two small fish. I started diggin through my bag to see what else I could throw. I ended up tying on a crinkle cut, from jd baits, and throwing it into a brushpile I had hit with power worms and jigs, no longer than 5 seconds after hitting the water I get what felt like a good fish tap I set up and my drag starts ripping, I did everything I could to keep the fish from jumping but it didnt matter he wanted to jump. I was fishing alone so i had to do the out-reached arm photo technique. I fished for 5 hours only caught 4, and the two on the cc worms added up to about 8+ lbs, while my spinnbait fish were under 4 combined. Last year I kinda got away from the crinkle cuts to fish jigs, I might have to put my jigs down more often.
0429000902.jpg

Nice looking fish there.
Sounds like the same weather here,except 10 degrees lower and blowing hard from the north..
Way to go.

There you are! We were just talking about you and wondering what sort of trouble you were up to - now I know

Great fish Mr. Slim